Chapter Eight: Reunion

Weeks. Three to be exact. Twenty one entire days they've kept their love a secret from the world. Not even Dylan and Emma know of the love that blossomed between the lovestruck motel owner and the hopeless romantic sheriff. They visit each other during the late hours of the night, usually to talk and drink wine. Sometimes things get physical but it never gets past a passionate makeout session.
"Norma?" Dylan calls out again. Norma jumps and glances up at him.
"The sheriff is here." he says.
"Okay? So?" she asks, getting defensive.
"So, I was just letting you know that I'm leaving. To look for Norman." he says, slipping his jacket on.
"I'm coming today." she says, jumping up to slip her shoes on.
"You are? Don't you have to manage the motel?" he asks.
"I can close today. I just...I've been on edge, being alone. Since Sam escaped and everything-"
"It's fine. I don't want you alone either. It's been...nice having Alex around more." he says with a soft smile.
"Has he been around more? I hadn't noticed." she says, walking outside. Dylan chuckles and shuts the door. They walk down the steps to meet Alex who is waiting outside of his car.
"Norma, you joining us today?" he asks.
"Yes. Have you found any leads on Sam?" she asks.
"Afraid not."
"Norman?"
"Afraid not." he says again. This is the same hello they have every time they see each other and each time Norma always hopes for a different answer.
"Don't be discouraged. We'll find them, alright?" he says comfortingly. Norma glances at Dylan who is staring back and forth between them. She nods stiffly and he helps her into the car. They search the woods for hours, still not finding anything. Lunch time passes and dinner time rolls around.
"Norma, we should call it a night. None of us have eaten all day." Dylan complains.
"How long do you think it has been since Norman has eaten? He is probably scared out of his mind. I have a good feeling about tonight." she says, still walking.
"Norma we should go before it gets dark. I didn't bring the flashlights." Alex says.
"I'm not leaving. You two can go. Come back in the morning. I'll still be looking." she says stubbornly. Alex glances at Dylan and sighs with defeat.
"There!" Norma says, pointing at something in the leaves. They run toward it and Alex pulls up a backpack.
"It's his! It's his backpack." she says, grabbing it and pulling it to her chest. She can feel the tears run down her cheeks before she can stop them.
"What if he's dead?" she asks softly. Dylan pulls her into a hug.
"We won't think about that until we find him." he says.
"And we will. Let's keep looking." Alex says. They search for a few more hours without any luck.
"I guess we should go. I'm feeling faint." Norma says.
"Alright. We will come back out tomorrow." Dylan says. The boys turn to walk back but stop when they notice Norma isn't following. She is staring down at the backpack in her hands.
"Norma." Alex says, catching her attention. She looks at Alex and then out into the woods.
She takes in a deep breath and shouts as loud as she can,
"Norman!"
They all pause for a moment for any reaction but get none. All that can be heard is the rushing water of a nearby creek and the occasional animal noise.
But then, they hear it. A banging of some sort. Like a stick to a metal trashcan. It is consistent and strong, nearby. Norma is the first to run in the direction of the sound, followed by Alex and then Dylan. They run for a few minutes and stop at a cellar of some sort.
"It's locked." Norma says, yanking on the lock. Alex takes the gun out of his pants.
"Get back." he orders. She stumbles back away from the metal doors. He pulls the trigger twice, sending two loud noises into the quiet air. The lock pops off and falls into the dirt. Norma rushes to the doors, prying them open surprisingly easily with her small hands.
She pulls out skinny little Norman who is covered in mud and dirt. She hugs him and stands up, crying tears of joy. Alex wraps his arms around the pair and Dylan joins in, everyone surrounding Norman.
"Mommy!" he says with joy.
"Hey, baby. I'm so sorry, darling. I love you so much. I'm so sorry!" Norma cries. Alex subtly places a kiss on her temple without Dylan or Norman noticing.
"Let's get him home before dark." Alex says, leading them out of the woods. They drive him back to the motel where Norma cooks a warm dinner for all of them. They eat and talk happily, everyone just relieved to have Norman home.
"I'm gonna put Norman to bed and I'll be right down." she says to Dylan and Alex. They watch Norma walk up the stairs, carrying her sleepy boy in her arms. As soon as she is gone, Dylan turns to Alex, staring him down.
"I don't know you well. What I have seen though, makes me think you're a decent man. Are you a decent man?" he asks.
"Yes. Yeah, I like to think I am a good man." Alex says.
"I know about the two of you."
"What? I don't-"
"I can see it. In her, the way she looks at you, the way she acts around you. You two love each other." Dylan says, taking Alex by surprise.
"But she is fragile. She may act strong and independent but deep down, she is still a fragile woman who has just survived a lot of shit. Her childhood sucked, every guy she has been with has either abused her or cheated on her. I'm surprised she still has the strength to give love another chance." he says quietly, occasionally glancing at the stairs.
"But I swear to God, if you hurt her, I will break you. I don't care that you're a sheriff, I will hurt you." he whispers. Alex smiles, finally understanding how much Dylan loves his mother even if he doesn't show it.
"I give you permission to kill me if I make a mistake like that." Alex says. Dylan smiles, seeing the love in Alex's eyes. Norma walks back downstairs, oblivious to the conversation that just took place.
"I will...see you around." Alex says, shaking Dylan's hand.
"Thank you...for finding my brother." Dylan says.
"That was all her." Alex says, smiling at Norma. She smiles widely and takes his hand in hers, shaking it gently.
"Thank you, sheriff." she says. He squeezes her hand gently before slowly letting go.
"Have a good evening."
He walks outside and begins to walk down the stairs. He can hear Norma run out after him, catching up to him.
"Sheriff Romero." she calls out. He turns around, seeing Dylan watching them from the porch.
"You forgot your pen." Norma says, smiling mischievously.
"Thank you," he says, taking the pen that doesn't belong to him. "I don't know what I would've done without this."
"Park down the road and meet me in room four." she whispers, turning around and walking back up to the house.