Part Three: Chapter Nine

NINE

Deep in the heart of the City of Kings, a chamber exists, so large it surpasses the size of any other in Tertancia. Over three hundred paces deep, and two hundred across, its walls were made of a rosy-hued, cream colored stone, inlaid wi­­th radiating patterns of gold.In swirling patterns, rubies of all sizes gleamed in the streaming sunlight, pouring in through windows which stretched the height of the room

The immense space was just about the same rank in holiness, as in size. It was the Hall of the Kings.

People flooded the chamber, many even forced to stand on the staircase --the only main entrance into the Hall-- which descended through a large opening at the back of the room.Clothed in the finest makes and cuts, the neutrally-garbed citizens were immaculately well-presented. They were the Court of the Kings, the Friends and noble families closest to the Church.

The Friends gathered on this day for a decree from the Church Kings. Rumors of the unrest in Hold Out filtered from clerk to serving girl to soldier making their way to the ears of the many well-born men and women, and they were beginning to show their fear; the voices in the room were hushed, the faces stressed.

The Church Kings, however, radiated confidence. They sat in their white stone and gold thrones, and deliberated openly. Even if they weren't to make a ruling today, it would make no difference to the most of the people there:Fear had taken root, and a ruling either way would not sooth it. The shadow of corruption contrasted greatly with the grand, sunny room they found themselves in.

Hushed whispers rasped across the stone walls and floor. Out of the low voices, a voice dared to speak up from the back. The message was relayed from mouth to mouth many times before it reached the aging Kings' ears. Reiterated one last time by one of the three King's Clerks, he spoke with trepidation.

“Your Graces, my Lord Reymar is wondering what will ultimately happen to the citizens of Hold Out who are loyal to the Church, if a siege is enacted?" The Clerk, a man named Sunar, attempted to cover the interest in his voice. The room grew quiet, the citizens waiting for the Kings to speak on this new subject.

The first to answer, the Lunasic Church King Lunister Monas, was harsh in his convictions, but this proved to be little surprise; the man’s views left little room for variation.

"Hold Out is crying in dire need of Luna to wash the filth of these lies clean. The citizens of the Trade District's minds are weakened, and are quickly falling prey to the propaganda infecting our stronghold. They burn their churches, and defile the believers around them. I fear none may be saved! We must move quickly, and contain the spread of this disease before it rots Tertancia from the navel upward!"

A quick response was edged in by Orman Sonat, the Solantic Church King, who many thought was the only King left with any compassion. "How can you condemn thousands to death? You are not in Luna's position, you do not decide when it is time to Cleanse!"

"Would you allow these lies to infiltrate Our Fair Country? To cause anarchy and Rebellion to take root in Our Fair City? The already shallow grasp the countryside has on the teachings of Luna and Sola will be forever damaged. We must eradicate this cancerous spread before it does what it will!"

The third and last Church King, a Solanticman named Selen Brightneer, remained quiet. Neither Lunister Monas, nor Orman Sonat would budge on their positions on the current issue. His vote would be the deciding vote. This issue would decide whether the siege is just a siege, or a holocaust. Most in the room were learned enough to understand that, by this stage in the debate.

After a few more moments of listening to his two counterparts, Selen finally raised his hand, and spoke. "It becomes a very simple issue if you think of the future, or if you view this as an outsider. Tertancia is her religion, her citizens are the embodiment of their Gods. If you separate the two, as they have never been, you would leave behind such disorder. We cannot let these rumors spread. Our first duty is the protection of Our Fair Citizens, and allowing rumors to cause dissension, and letting disbelief spread, would create, in the best case, a civil war. Are we willing to risk this?"