Part 16

Sunday, July 16, 1922

The next morning, Alexandra and I went back to the hospital with Daddy to see Archie. "I need to check on my other patients first, but I'll be in to see Archie around lunchtime," he told Alexandra as we parted ways in the lobby. He held up a file folder. "I've got the results of his blood work here, and I'll get them to Dr. Harper right away."

Alex thanked him and we waved good-bye, following the corridor to Archie's ward.

Archie already had a visitor, though. A nurse and a policeman were standing over Archie's bed.

"Oh, he's awake!" Alexandra ran forward, nearly knocking Officer O'Neil out of the way as she threw her arms around her brother. He was still pale, reclining on a short stack of pillows, but returned her embrace with vigor.

"It's good to see you among the living," I said, grinning. "You gave us a pretty good scare."

Archie's smile was tired but honest. "Sorry about that."

Alexandra was crying again, this time with joy. She finally pulled away, wiping self consciously at her eyes. "Don't you ever do that again!" she said, punching his shoulder.

"Ouch!"

The nurse, appalled at such treatment of an invalid, turned her sharpest glare on Alexandra. "Miss! I'll have to ask you to leave if you upset my patient!"

"Don't worry, it's Jake. That's how my sister shows affection." Archie grinned, but the nurse didn't look convinced.

"I promise I'll keep an eye on them," I said, my own grin stretching my face.

The nurse–whom I knew on sight, but did not know her name–finally looked at me and must have realized I was Dr. Faust's daughter. She finally nodded. "Very well. But no more rough housing. This is a place of rest!" Straightening her crisp white uniform, she strode away quickly..

I turned to Officer O'Neil. "I'm sorry for interrupting. We've all been very worried about Archie."

"That's alright. I'm nearly done here. I just wanted to get some of the particulars from Mr. Grant."

"So you can find the people responsible?"

"Responsible? Well, it's unfortunate, but I'd say that Mr. Grant here is responsible for his own actions. Liquor is illegal in this country, as you know, so he who chooses to drink it does so at his own risk."

I stared at him, unsure if I was more surprised at his lack of concern over the poisoned liquor, or in the fact he didn't seem interested in arresting Archie for drinking.

"But what about the Devil's Due? Aren't you going to try to find the people selling it? It's poison! He could have died! He's lucky he's not blind!"

But O'Neil just shrugged, a patronizing smile on his lips. "I'll be sure to pass the information on to the detectives on our prohibition squad. I'm only here because your mother asked me to look into it."

I bit back an angry retort, forcing myself to thank him and see him off as he slipped his notepad back into the pocket of his jacket. Once he was gone, I sat angrily on the edge of Archie's bed.

"Di mi! What a creep!" Alex spat once his shadow cleared the door. "Dru, what was he talking about? Why can't your mother help?"

"Because she's a policewoman. She can't go around investigating on her own. She's basically a glorified matron." Over six hundred policemen in Columbus, and only three policewomen. Mother was the only woman at her precinct, except the secretary.