Chapter 19

It's too dark.

Where- what...

H-help! Help me! I- I can't...

I can't breathe. I can't see! Somebody!

...

No, stop. Calm down. Don't move, just think.

First question.

What happened?

...

Oh! The machine. Sans, The Doctor. I heard... something. Coming from the crack. A voice, two voices.

Sans and...

Somebody.

And that's why I went through. That's why I'm here.

...

Where am I?

I can't see anything, I can't hear anything. I can't feel, smell, or taste anything.

Wait why would I taste things? That makes no sense.

Back on subject.

I went through the crack. So did other monsters. Are they here too? Where is 'here'? There's no space here. Or time.

The- the void. That's where I am.

Third question.

What do I do now?

There's nothing here... except...

Wait...

A white light. Stretching. A thin line.

A crack.

There are more. Everywhere. Less frequent further away. More frequent towards...

A figure.

Move closer. Find out what it is.

A... A monster? Thin, skeletal. Looks broken. Pieces missing.

That face. I know that face.

Where do I know it from?

...

The gray room. I've seen this monster before in that room. This is who I came here for. The gray monsters told me about him.

W. D. Gaster.

...

We have to get out of here.

Look around. Check the cracks. Find the biggest.

There.

Move closer. Bring Gaster also.

Almost there

Crack shifting. Growing thinner. Closing.

No! So close. Have to get there! Almost-

-----------------------------------------------------------

The Doctor and Sans watched helplessly as Frisk disappeared into the void. They could do nothing as the crack rapidly began to lose stability and began to close.

"We have to stop it!" The Doctor yelled, jumping over scattered objects in the room and running straight for the crack. "Over there! Grab those wires and use them to transfer the stabilizing signal."

While Sans grabbed the wires and cables and attempted to connect them to several different machines, the Doctor ran straight up to the crack and began throwing as much stuff as he could find into it.

"what are you doing?" Sans called from where he was working. "we're supposed to be helping frisk! not starting cleanup early!"

"The cracks feed off of the time energy of anything they consume," the Doctor said, continuing to throw things into the void. "Each and every thing has a certain amount of time energy that they-"

"i didn't ask for a science lesson!"

"They do a thing that will help!"

By now the crack was beginning to fade out into a thin line. There was only one spot of darkness now. And through it...

A hand reached through the crack, instantly followed by a flash of white light and a strong rush of air that knocked the Doctor off his feet and sent Sans flying into a pile of used machinery.

After that, everything was still.

Sans coughed a little and pushed bits of metal and wire off his body. When he sat up, he noticed Frisk passed out on the floor and next to them was...

He stood up and made his way over to them. It was difficult to walk through all the bits and pieces littering the floor, but he managed to make it anyway. He spotted the Doctor also prop himself up off the floor and begin walking towards them.

"Who's that?" The Doctor asked once he spotted the new monster on the floor. Sans didn't respond. He honestly wasn't quite sure how to.

Luckily, at that moment Frisk decided to stir. They groaned slightly and blinked their eyes open.

"What... happened?" They asked groggily.

"i think we'd like to ask you the same question," Sans replied, holding out a hand to help them up. They took it, but almost fell back over again.

"My arms hurt," they said simply. It wasn't hard to see why. Their limbs were covered in a sticky black substance which was making the surrounding skin turn a bright, angry red. Sans let go of them and let them sit on the floor instead.

"Frisk, do you remember what happened?" The Doctor asked, still keeping an eye on the unconscious monster on the floor. They seemed to be stirring slightly, so it was best to be cautious.

Frisk shook their head. "I remember the crack, and going in it, but then-" their eyes widened with sudden realization. "Gaster! We have to back. We have to save-" they broke off as they saw the figure still lying on the floor.

"So that's his name," the Doctor said, kneeling down to see Gaster better. "Gaster. Why was he stuck in the void?"

"it's a long story," Sans said abruptly. He stared down at Gaster. "he shouldn't be here. it doesn't make any sense."

"And why not?"

"He was shattered across space and time," Frisk said, a distant expression on their face. "The cracks were his efforts of piecing himself back together. But he never finished. Which... means..."

Everyone stared back down at Gaster who was stirring much more now. He propped himself up on one hand, which had a single hole in it. The other he used to grab onto a nearby chair and pull himself up to a crouching position. As they watched, they saw a few small cracks appear on the floor next to Gaster. As he gradually regained full consciousness, the cracks became more and more frequent.

"We have to stop him!" Frisk shouted. "Before he makes everything worse!"

"okay. yeah good plan. only problem is how? you got that space machine of yours handy, doc?" Sans asked. The Doctor shook his head.

"By now it will have sensed the instability in the timelines and moved to a safer place. We don't have that option."

"Wait," Frisk said. "I think I know how to fix this." They turned to Sans. "I know I promised I wouldn't, but-"

They were cut off by Sans giving them a short nod. Permission to do whatever it took to get them out of there.

Frisk took a deep breath.

*RESET