Outbreak of War: Extra Work

Start from the beginning

I glanced for a small store nearby, because I heard another rumor that a meeting was held to gather troops to aid in the bombardment of Fort Sumter, which sat outside the Charleston harbor.

A stray newspaper was strewn about on the ground, and I couldn't help but pick it up. I shuffled the pieces together and dusted a bit of dirt off of its surface.

The date read January 9th. In large, bold letters in the center of the front page, the newspaper read:

TROOPS needed! Come to Lee's Store at the corner of 3rd and 4th street to see how YOU can help!

I decided to keep reading, and I turned the page, the rest of the newspaper supporting its front statement.

Federal forces have been sent to Fort Sumter just outside of Charleston city, led by Major Robert Anderson. A few weeks ago during the standoff between the Northern militia and the Johnny-Rebs, Major Anderson messaged new President Abraham Lincoln: if the Federal government didn't send supplies to the fort, the troops would most likely fall. Supplies include food, water, clothing, and more troops.

Currently, 80 soldiers are occupying the Fort Sumter. Join the meeting at Lee's Store at the corner of 3rd and 4th street to learn how YOU can help the Union win this bombardment!

Strange, I thought to myself. You'll never find a newspaper like this in the South, especially at a large Southern town like this. It's also weird how a Union meeting would be held in a town in the South; it must be pretty urgent.

I chose to keep the Northern newspaper, and I folded it up and stuffed it into the deep pocket of my purple cardigan.

I glanced at the nearest street sign, and I smiled with satisfaction once I figured out that the street sign read 3rd street. I looked beyond the sign to observe the store on the corner, it's bright green sign reading Lee's Store. People crowded the outside of the small market, trying to get in. Through the window, I could see that it was almost stuffed with people. It surprised me how so many people, supposedly from the Southern states, were ready to aid the Northern militia at Fort Sumter. From a quick glance, around two hundred people were stuffed in and outside the small store.

"Now let's see what this meeting is all about," I said to myself as I jogged toward the small store.

***

I shoved my way through the mass crowd of men outside Lee's Store. I pushed the glass door, and it swung open, almost smacking into a bystander. I almost giggled at the sight of the man scurrying away in fear, but my expression remained serious as I made my way through the massive crowd the front row, most of the men at least a head taller than me.

A tall man that stood next to me glanced down at me, his long hair draping over his tan forehead.

"What's a little lady like you doin' in a place like this?" He said as he chewed a tobacco leaf. "You think you're brave enough to join all of us to support the Northern militia?"

I nodded confidently. "Mhm. You may think my size makes me weak, but I can kill a man with my bare hands." My mind was suddenly brought back to when I murdered Jenkin back at Pottawatomie Creek with Oliver. Oliver. I'm doing all of this for Oliver.

"Name?" The man asked, flashing a slight smile. I was glad that he didn't criticize me since I was a girl.

"Evangeline. Evangeline Freebourne." I replied proudly. "I prefer to go by Evan since Evangeline is too girly."

"Nice to meet you, Evan," the man took my hand in his and shook it firmly. "My name's Milo."

"Nice to meet you, too, Milo," I chuckled.