Everywhere people scurried around carrying things to and fro, cleaning the palace nooks and corners, bringing in expensive gifts from different people. 

The palace kitchen was wafting out delicious aromas  the whole day.

The security was upgraded. Now, I had someone guarding me at all times. The guard was usually silent and stiff, so it almost seemed like he was non-existent.

But that also meant that - nor was I getting anything out of him and I couldn't go about myself without someone tailing me.

Elsie's company in this time was God-sent. She prattled out information non-stop about the happenings in the palace and the preparations for the Royal Ball. 

From her, I found out that only the Alpha's and their families were invited to this occasion and the king had decided it was too dangerous to keep it as a open celebration.

Most people would be hurt by this, but I was relieved. 

Logically, this was the best approach to take under the sudden circumstances. 

But it was not enough.

Even if only the leaders attended the Ball, sooner or later the werewolf community would still revolt against the Royal family when the news of the coronation became public. 

Besides, the Alpha's were not exempt in their hatred towards the Hollow Death pack and ultimately towards me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Queen hustled into the Royal Prince's suite followed by several maids overloaded with things in their hands. 

Before my eyes, clothes hangers were set up, mannequins placed and finally dressed with the most exquisitely designed clothes and sparkling jewels. At the the foot of every mannequin lay a beautiful pair of heels  - the ones you would consider 'one of a kind' - but in this case there was a carefully chosen one for each dress. 

At the end of the whole exercise that unfolded before me, the place was transformed from a Royal bedroom suite to a designer showroom.

At the center of the room stood the beautiful Queen with admiration at her own successful endeavor. She clasped her hands together in joy and twirled around magnificently. Her eyes were now directed towards me filled with expectation.

I knew that she expected me to be overjoyed with this and try out different dresses, but instead my insides were slowly filling with dread. 

I was not such an exuberant person. 

I would rather she just choose something for me herself and I would wear it without complaints.

But, I didn't want to disappoint her or make her feel like her efforts were not appreciated. I hesitantly stood up and walked towards one of the mannequins, sincerely making my expression as amicable as I possibly could.

The dress before me was a glorious blue. The ruffles on the skirt fell on the carpet with beautiful waves. 

It was bright. It was magnificent. 

It was not me.

"Do you like this one?", the Queen queried, "Do you want to try it out?"

I shook my head. "Not this one", I replied.

"How about this one...", the Queen was pointing to a sleek red dress standing proudly on the plastic statue.

I laughed quietly in my head at the irony.