Chapter 5

Chapter 5

He pulled her along him as made way for her with his big body. They finally arrived in a small room with only a few occupants. He turned to face her. She dropped her drink on a near by table and straightened. Her black clutch purse was made of metallic iron, but covered with fabric. Jade targeted his left shoulder and slapped the heavy purse against it, eliciting a surprised "Ouch!" from him. 

"You rat! You slimy conniving jerk!" she whisper shouted. 

His eyebrow shot towards his hairline. 

"This isn't a business party!" she accused. 

At least he had the grace to color slightly. But the color was gone as soon as it came. 

"Still, you're here. Better to loosen up and enjoy the party" he said, his eyes twinkling mischievously. 

Jade was too stunned to react when he enfolded her in his arms and glided on to the dance floor. She had two options, either accept gracefully or struggle awkwardly. She sighed as she began to dance with him. What harm could one dance do? However, dancing with Nick wasn't just moving to the beat of the song, it was a lot more complicated than that. His arms felt like heaven. They were just moving, oblivious of everything but themselves.

Pressed against him, breathing him in, Jade got lost in the man and the moment. He was making her feel things she'd never felt with any one. She let her head rest against his chest, too powerless to resist when she felt his mouth at the nape of her neck. Jade shivered deliciously. One dance melded into two, into three until they both lost count. 

He murmured against her smooth satiny skin, sending vibrations to her very core.  

She couldn't even remember what he'd done to make her angry at first. 

They were all but making love on the dance floor and Jade didn't want to stop. She felt wanton, and it was definitely not because of the champagne.

Suddenly, the music stopped and bright lights filled the dim room. Conversation around them filtered and they were yanked out their cocoon. Guests were grabbing plates and queuing in front a buffet that had been set out. 

Sanity returned and they drew apart. Jade did not fail to notice the jealous looks thrown her way. Apparently, Nick Colby was a big catch-to them. But not to her.  

She heard Nick ask her if she wanted to eat. 

"No, not yet. But go on if you like, I'll just find the ladies room" she said, slipping out of his arms. She went out across the large room and found the ladies room, with a bit of navigating. It was empty, she noted thankfully. She rinsed her face and hands and dried up. She was reapplying her lip-gloss when she heard someone come in.

Jade groaned internally when she saw that the newcomer was Jessica. She replaced her lip-gloss in her purse and turned to go. 

"Hold on there a second," she said, dropping her things on the table and blocking Jade's way.

"Now, I don't know if you've noticed, but Nicholas Colby is mine and I intend for it to stay that way!" she spat, spoiling for a fight.

"I'm sorry, how's any of that my business?" Jade asked, in no mood to be on the receiving end of any irrational jealousy spurred anger.

"Now look here, you little pest, don't give me an attitude! I don't want to see you anywhere near my man! And by my man, I mean Nick! Don't you even think of daring me" with that, she pushed past Jade into the nearest stall.

Jade stepped out of the room without answering her. She needed to clear her head. Grabbing another champagne glass, she stepped out on a balcony over looking the side of the estate. She set her purse down on the flat railing and sipped her drink. The warm breeze caressed her skin.