Chapter 14 - Carless Decisions

Just seconds after Ruxin had disappeared out of the door; a chair was thrown across the hallway and passed through the door. A sort of growl, which Laney knew came from Ruxin, filled the house.

"Laney?" Frantic calls sounded just after the chair crashed into one of the closed doors and shattered.

"Bodhi." She whispered, but knowing he wouldn't here.

Bodhi ran past the door and failed to see her, so she called his name. Again, he didn't hear. So he ran back to the open door and peered in. Laney smiled at him and almost went to him when she saw his eyes went right through her. He didn't see her.

"Bodhi?"

"Laney?" He asked confusedly.

Oh. She walked out of the door and saw Bodhi's eyes soften at the sight of her, but turn hard and angry just after. She stepped back from him in uncertain fear.

"Where did you come from?" He pointed angrily at the door.

"I'm fine Bodhi—"

"That's not what I asked."

"The doors, they take you to where you want to be most. So I was in with Cole and Ruxin, the doors brought me to them." She pointed out.

"Explains what I saw then when I looked in." He mumbled.

"What did you see...?"

"You." He deadpanned.

"There's more isn't there?" She asked.

"Yes, you in a room with—"

"Nope," She brought a finger to his lips as a smile played on her own. "No one, not even me, needs to know what goes through that head of yours."

Bodhi grunted.

"Ruxin?" Laney asked Bodhi as soon as Cole stepped from the door. At least one of the Fenn brothers has the decency to put some clothes on. Laney thought.

"He made a fuss downstairs. Well, the fuss was started by me with some news I shared with Allison." Bodhi winced, and Laney knew what news he was talking about.

"So?"

"So she's down there destroying everything in her path, I came up to get you...we need to go. Now."

"What about Ruxin?" Laney asked frantically.

"He's gone mad," Bodhi shook his head to answer Laney, but had his intense eyes stuck on Cole. "He has to fend for himself at this point."

"Sorry, buddy, but I will not be leaving him behind with this Vampire hybrid." Cole said with a hint of sarcasm in his angered tone.

Bodhi rolled his eyes and wrapped his hand around Laney's slender wrist, tugging slightly. Laney only gave him a solemn look. She gently took her hand from his grasp and bowed her head in disappointment.

"Don't tell me you're staying too." He drawled on slightly slumping in exasperation.

"I'm sorry I—"

"What happened in there, Laney?" He pointed to the door.

"Nothing." She whispered shyly, grabbing her arm in her clammy hand and looking to her feet.