Chapter 7 - 209 Years Ago

Damon, Laney's brother, above!

---------------------------------

Laney sat on the couch; it was consuming her in its pillows. Her head was filled with the earlier events. The way Bodhi's touch lit her skin aflame. The way her heart was beating faster as he had gotten closer to her. Caleb and his interesting way of showing affection and the way he'd toyed with her head. He'd made her think, though he may not know it, that he'd felt something for her.

"Laney, what...are, what are—"

"Damon...Damon!" Laney rushed to his side just before he fell face first into the stairs.

He wobbled his way from the kitchen to the living room; each step was like stepping on a loose rock on a treacherous mountain. His eyes were half open and his head probably swimming with the alcohol that poisoned his body. He lay limp in Laney's arm; she struggled to drag him the few feet to the edge of the couch. There she let his passed out self lay oblivious on the couch. She let out a sigh and a slight shake of her head. Leaving him there, she took herself up to her room.

She threw off the jeans that she still wore from earlier that morning, or rather yesterday seeing as it was now 1:30 in the morning. She abandoned her shirt on her floor, walking to her closet in her black underwear and bra. She pulled on a large pair of sweat pants as well as a sweatshirt of Damon's she happened to steal.

She threw herself on her messy bed, the comforter consuming her small body. Her pillows welcomed her aching head and cradled her until she drifted off into a deep sleep full of, still, unanswered questions. Some new ones that had been brought up when Caleb mentioned that she "knew" something she was currently unaware of.

Her dreams were restless, causing her to toss and turn all night. All the while Bodhi had pushed open her unlocked window with ease. Slipping in her dark room he walked to stand by the closet door, the far corner illuminated by the bright moon. He watched as her face scrunched with unease and sweat dampened her skin. Each whimper that fell from her lips caused Bodhi to take one step towards her distressed state.

He had made his way to the side of her bed, a wary hand reaching for her clammy body. Just has his fingers were to brush over her cheek, a voice broke the silence that had befallen the room,

"You sick, love-struck bastard." Caleb's voice came from the darkest corner of the room.

"Caleb." Bodhi hissed, instantly going to block Laney from his view.

"Ah man, I was enjoying that." He motioned to Laney.

"Get out." He whispered.

"I could say the same to you." Caleb continued in a loud voice.

"Leave her alone."

"You see," Caleb unfolded his arms from his chest, walking from the wall in which he had propped himself against. "She's become my little toy...so I plan to play with her whenever I can."

"Please don't do this to her...let's at least take this elsewhere. We've contaminated her life with our antics and constant fights since she met you."

"Oh no, see, I'm playing with my new toy." Caleb pouted.

Beside them, Laney stirred among her mass of blankets. Her eyes were wet with newly shed tears and her cheeks flushed red. She let out a soft cry that clawed at Bodhi's chest. He so badly wanted to reach out and gather her body into his arms and hold her until she felt safe.