An Unbearable Sight

An Unbearable Sight 
Challenge: Contempt 
     » Athena had expected to protect those who could not protect themselves - not those who were in power. So, she left. 

CONTEMPT

Athena knew when she was named a Warrior of Avalon, she would have to protect the weak and the helpless. It was their sacred duty, to protect those who could not protect themselves, and it had been what had driven her for so long.

She had expected to protect children and women.

But she was too good at protecting those who were weak and, before long, she was noticed by those in positions of power. The men who were supposed to protect the people ate off of golden trays studded with diamonds and played Puppeteer amongst themselves and their ignorant people instead.

So she left and went to find something that she could protect – After all, why should she protect those who used those lesser than them? Why should she fight when nobody else will?

The Rebellion, dedicated to fighting the injustice of Dracónia, called to her and soon she joined, only to eventually find that even this unit had its own (unstable) hierarchy. They were all fools, waiting for this fabled "Dragon Princess" to save them when they had so many willing to fight the Führer.

But before she could leave this system too, she was captured by the Führer's right hand – the Prinzessin Cassandra – and thrown into his dungeons. It had been her arrogance that had led to her capture. And yet, that same arrogance had led her to this boy who shared the cell with her. His gray eyes, which looked harder than steel, bored into her, and she could not shake the feeling that he was judging her.

"Who are you?" he asked.

"Athena," she replied. "You?"

The boy – except he couldn't be quite a boy. There was something about him that was not entirely human... -- hesitated for a split second. "I'm Draco."

Draco had been the name of the Führer's Successor.

Her mind whirled as she had asked why he was in the dungeons and he had answered that he'd seen something unforgiveable. She could mold this boy dragon, to help her fight the system. She and him – they could take down Ambrose and destroy injustice. She could see the hatred in his eyes, the need for revenge, and she knew that he would be willing.

After all, revenge did not destroy a dragon like it would a human's.

So, when she broke out, she had turned to this boy and said, "Are you coming or not?"

The way he looked at her had caused the hair on the back of her neck to rise. Suddenly, she wondered if maybe she should leave this boy here – that maybe, just maybe, he might be too unpredictable to help her.

"I am."

But a Faerie always, always, kept her word.