Perseverance, patience, and pride

Start from the beginning

Gwen starts full blown crying now. She had been so desperate her whole life for a man to love her the way her dad loves her mom, and when she was at her lowest not expecting anything Blake swings in. Where did this man come from? Gwen doesn't really care. She sends up a prayer of thanks to the universe for putting this man in her path when she really needed him. Blake's not sure exactly when Gwen fell asleep but once he is sure she is asleep, he maneuvers himself out from her grasps. He chuckles at the pout that forms on her face as he pulls free. He pulls the blankets up over her. He stands there for a minute just staring at the beautiful woman before him, and wonders how in the world he got so lucky. He bends down and plants a kiss on her forehead before turning and going to get in his bed. He falls asleep that night determined to reunite Gwen with her family.
                                             .........................................................
The next morning Blake wakes up to the sound of his alarm. Gwen has to be at the hospital in an hour for her first out patient treatment. He gets up and throws on his clothes. When he gets to Gwen's door he is surprised to see it open and her bed empty. He makes his way down stairs to find her. When he reaches the living room he spots her in the chair looking out the window with a glass of water. He walks up to her and places a kiss on her head.

"Good morning sunshine"

"Good morning" she said turning her head and giving him a slight smile

"You ok?"

"Yeah I'm just not ready for today. Like yesterday was the first time in months that I felt like a human being. I felt normal."

"Hey Gwen, look at me" Blake says...she turns to look him in the eye as he continues

"Look, I cannot begin to know how you feel every time you have to get a treatment; but what I do know is that you are the strongest woman I know and you will get through this with me by your side...okay Sunshine?"

"Aww Blakey...I appreciate you being here...I just wish you didn't have to see me so weak and tired; it can't be that fun."

"Gwen darlin' I am not here for entertainment, I am here to just simply be with you and support you in any way I can.  I know that some may say this is moving fast, but I don't care...you can't keep me away."

Gwen looks at him with what he hopes is her look of love.  Her eyes are boring into his soul and he only hopes that one day soon she will open up to the possibility of his love.

"Now...how about we get you ready for this treatment...the sooner you finish this round the closer you get to remission right?!" Blake says as he gives Gwen the gorgeous dimpled smile she loves.

"Okay Blakey...let's go kick cancer's ass!"

"Atta girl...that's the spirit!"  Blake chuckles as they lock up and head to the truck...it isn't a long ride to the hospital but the sooner he gets her there, the sooner she can come home again.
                                           ........................................................
When they get to the hospital Blake can sense that Gwen is nervous.  She just isn't real sure about how this outpatient treatment works.

Luckily Blake spots Gwen's nurse and friend Lou.

"Mornin' Miss Lou; how's it going?" Blake asks

"Doing well Blake...how's our patient doing today?"  She looks at Blake and then looks to Gwen...she can sense the apprehension.

"I'm okay Lou...just nervous!" says Gwen.

"It's okay Gwen...this is just like before only now your body is responding to the treatment better so you can rest at home afterwards."

"Will the doctor come explain to me what changed, like why my body is responding better all of a sudden?" asks Gwen

"Oh of course he will...but if you ask me...he'll say the same thing I'll tell you; when you have someone around who lov.....cares about you...it gives you a reason to fight harder!" 

Lou gives Gwen the biggest smile she can and turns to Blake.  Love is all she sees when she looks at those adorable dimples and blushing face... he's been caught.  Lou knows what's up...she only hopes Gwen understands it and can see it too.

Blake turns to Lou and asks "Okay sis..so what happens now?"

"Well now we take Gwen back and get her set up for chemo treatment but unfortunately you'll need to wait here or you can go run errands and come back later."

"Oh okay" Blake says looking at Lou... "I have never been around for the whole treatment; how long will it take?"

Lou turns to both Blake and Gwen and says "Most sessions last a few hours and once you're done we will have you rest a bit and check all of your vitals before we release you for the day."

"Well Blakey; since you cannot come back with me why don't you go get those window shades you mentioned so the sun stops waking me up so early?" Gwen looks at Blake with adoring eyes and he melts..those looks could make him do anything

"Okay Sunshine...sounds good.  I will go get a few things I...we need at the house and then I will come back a bit later on."  Blake turns to leave as Lou gets ready to take Gwen back to the treatment room...but before he does he knows he can't leave without a kiss.  He spins back around, moves close to Gwen and gives her a sweet, tender kiss on her forehead (he's not sure where she stands on PDA).  She smiles up at him and as he turns to leave he waves his hand to say goodbye and says "Don't forget about me while I am gone Sunshine!"

As he exits the hospital Lou looks at Gwen, love written all over her face; laughs and says to Gwen..." as if you could or would ever forget that handsome cowboy huh?"

The girls just laugh with one another as they descend down the hall to begin Gwen's treatment.
                           ......................................................................
While Gwen is in treatment Blake does everything thing he can to keep his mind occupied because the thought of her in there alone, going through that alone, is enough to nearly kill him. The first thing he takes on is the room darkening shades. So he heads home and measures the windows. Next he heads to home Home Depot to get the shades. Once he finishes that process he realizes he only passed about an hour. He remembers the dilemma with breakfast and decides to hit the grocery store to stock the fridge, remembering to get popsicles, Pedialyte, Sprite, and crackers for Gwen. It doesn't take long for two hour to have passed. Blake has had it though he needs to get back to that hospital so she isn't alone even if he can't go back he needs to be there. So that's what he does he heads to the hospital. On his way a thought pops in his head and he pulls into the Hallmark parking lot and runs in. He comes back out with a present for Gwen he is sure will make her smile.