Amara's mom wasn't a cruel alcoholic like most cliches. Amara's mom was basically like an older sister who couldn't wait to go to college and be out of the house, away from her younger sister. That didn't mean that her mom hated Amara. No, she loved her. But she also loved Zeus. And Amara was a constant reminder of how he left her to raise the child on her own, like she was nothing more than a one night stand.

     Percy stared at him. "Were you reading my mind or something?"

     "Just your emotions," Grover shrugged. "Guess I forgot to tell you satyrs can do that. You were thinking about your mom and your stepdad, right?" 

     Amara recalled a short mention of Percy's step-dad, someone named Gale or Greg or something along those lines. But that was it. She could tell Percy wasn't very fond of his step-father, but she didn't know the details.

     "Your mom married Gabe for you," Grover told Percy. "You call him 'Smelly,' but you've got no idea. The guy has this aura.... Yuck. I can smell him from here. I can smell traces of him on you, and you haven't been near him for a week."

     "Thanks," he said. "Where's the nearest shower?"

     "You should be grateful, Percy. Your stepfather smells so repulsively human he could mask the presence of any demigod. As soon as I took a whiff inside his Camaro, I knew: Gabe has been covering your scent for years. If you hadn't lived with him every summer, you probably would've been found by monsters a long time ago. Your mom stayed with him to protect you. She was a smart lady. She must've loved you a lot to put up with that guy--if that makes you feel any better." 

     Amara looked down. She felt like she was intruding on their conversation. Turning away from them, Amara began thinking about her own father. He knew she was going on her first ever quest, and it was a dangerous one. That was why he gave her his sword. But if Zeus knew Amara was going on this quest, with the boy whom he accused of stealing the lightning bolt, then she knew that her father would not be the happiest about it. So then why would he give her his sword? 

     The rain kept pouring. Amara could control the air and with enough concentration, she could generate small sparks of lightning, but she wasn't mastered enough to conjure a full lightning bolt. But she wondered that if she tried hard enough, she could make it stop raining. She knew the power of rain and storms was within Zeus' domain. Maybe it was also within hers.

     But right now was definitely not the time to try.

     They decided to play Hacky Sack with one of Grover's apples to pass the time. If Amara wasn't just as good, she would have been impressed by Annabeth's skill.

     "Percy, you suck at this game," Amara said jokingly with a grin.

     "Well, forgive me for not being an all-star athlete. Haven't had the time, busy trying to save the world and all, you know?"

     "Oh, yeah, totally understandable."

     When Percy tossed the apple to Grover, who accidentally ate it, that signaled the end of the game.

     While Grover was trying to apologize, Amara, Percy, and Annabeth were too busy laughing.

     At last, the bus came. As they stood in line to board, Grover began to sniff the air as if trying to figure out if he smelled food or not.

     "What is it?" Percy asked.

     "I don't know. Maybe it's nothing," said Grover, but Amara knew better than that. She began to be more aware of her surroundings.

      The four boarded the bus and got to their seats, stowing away their bags, except Amara. She didn't feel comfortable parting from her bag so she set it on her lap and wrapped her arms around it.

     Amara looked outside the window. It was still raining. And Amara began to feel uncomfortable. By the looks of Grover, he felt it too.

     "Percy," Annabeth said as she clamped her hand onto his knee. Amara looked to where Annabeth was glancing and saw that it was an old lady boarding the bus. At first glance, there didn't seem to be anything unusual about her. Amara looked over to Percy to see a horror-stricken face.

     Two more climbed onto the bus, looking exactly like the first one, except with different colored hats.

     Three ladies.

     Three Furies.

     One of them was probably Percy's math teacher.

     They sat in the front row and the two on the aisle seat stretched their legs over the walkway, forming an X.

     The bus pulled out of the station.

     "She didn't stay dead long. I thought you said they could be dispelled for a lifetime," Percy said.

     "I said if you're lucky," clarified Annabeth.

     "Which it seems like you're obviously not," added Amara.

     "All three of them," Grover whimpered. "Di immortales!"

     "It's okay," Annabeth said, obviously thinking hard. "The Furies. The three worst monsters from the Underworld. No problem. No problem. We'll just slip out the windows."

     "They don't open," Grover moaned.

     "A back exit?" she suggested.

     "There isn't one," said Amara. 

     "They won't attack with witnesses around, will they?" Percy asked.

     "Don't be so sure about that. Mortals can't really see through the Mist," Amara answered.

     "They'll see three old ladies killing us, won't they?"

     Annabeth thought for a moment. "Hard to say. But we can't count on mortals for help. Maybe an emergency exit on the roof...?"

     The bus entered the Lincoln Tunnel. It suddenly went dark, except for the lights illuminating the middle of the aisle. The eerie silence that resulted from no sound of rain sent chills down Amara's spine.

     But she had no right to complain. She volunteered--no, begged for this. And now she had it.

     The first old hag stood up. "I need to use the restroom," she said in the most monotone voice.

     "So do I," said the second sister.

     "So do I," said the third sister. 

     They all began to come down the aisle.

     "Oh, great. This will not be pretty," Amara huffed.

Ψ

i know this is long overdue but i haven't had any inspiration lately so that's why it took this long to publish this but i promise next chapter will not take this long

i didn't really know how to end this chapter so this is what it is

i know i said starting around june 15 you'll get more frequent updates but idk if that'll happen

anyway, not much to say for this author's note

And as always, Thanks for reading!