Chapter 21-I Just Wanna Run

Start from the beginning

                                “What’s got you thinking so hard?” a thump on my forehead snaps me back to reality.

                                “Nothing, what are you doing?” I question as my hands motion to the variety of items he has set on the counter. Eggs, milk, flour, basically all of your baking needs.

                                “We are making a cake,” he smirks as he digs his finger into the flour only to spread it on my nose. I make a face causing him to chuckle as I’m sure my now white nose looks funny.

                                “Why are we making a cake?” I wave the whisk he placed in my hand in the air. Who bakes a cake at three in the morning?

                                “Well, Lucy’s birthday is tomorrow or technically today,” he answers with a shrug meanwhile my mind is screaming at me about what a horrible mother I am. How could I have forgotten such an important day in history, you know besides Dylan O’Brien’s birth date?

                                “Why didn’t you remind me?” I whisper as loudly as I can before hurling an egg at his head. The splat sound makes me realize what I just did as my eyes widen with surprise. I step back as he wipes part of the substance from his head before taking a couple of threatening steps towards me. Damn, I can count on one hand the times Drew has ever seriously been mad at me but right now, he’s in predatory mode. I’m the prey once again. That’s something I just realized, how in the world do I end up in these situations? The ones where I inadvertently place myself in some type of danger, awkward, or embarrassing moment?

                                “You’re trapped,” that whisper in my ear takes me out of my ramblings, only for me to notice I’ve backed myself into a wall with Drew’s body keeping me in place. I am indeed, as he so nicely put it, trapped.

                                “How about that cake?” I try to duck under him before he places his arms on either side of my head. Oh sure, bring out the biceps dude, I’ll just ignore him. I’m going to stare straight ahead, uh oh, straight ahead means straight at his chest. His muscular chest leading to that torso, is it hot in here? Or is it just him?

                                “What’s wrong, why is your face all red?” Drew asks me worriedly. Ha, if only he knew what I was thinking. Good thing he’s not a mind reader but what if he were? Oh my, I’d never be safe.

                                “My face is red in anticipation for that cake,” I manage to stun him with my quick thinking enough for me to get out of his grasp.

                                “Okay, I’ll make the batter can you get the pans out?” I nod before heading out to find the baking pans. Who knew Drew could cook?

                                “You know, the reason I didn’t remind you of her birthday is because my mom always kept our birthdays intimate with just our family. I used to like that so I thought I’d do the same thing for her, no need for an over the top party,” he explains. Aw, that’s so sweet, now I feel bad for smashing an egg on him. I should apologize but I won’t, that will be like showing weakness. For some odd reason, I don’t want Drew to think of me as weak. Curse you teenage girl hormones. I feel like I’m in some sort of sitcom.

                                “You space out a lot, don’t you?” I feel arms wound around my waist as hot breath hits my neck. Is it just me or is Drew extra touchy feely today? My heart begins to pound uncontrollably in my chest as Drew’s arms tighten around me and I’m being lifted a couple of feet above the air.