Chapter 32: A Change of Plans

Upon first approaching the 'city' of Dawnstar, one would hardly be able to tell that there was anything amiss within the sleepy, almost too-stereotypical nordic town. The settlement itself seemed to have two 'layers', having structures built both further up the hill and then yet another row situated as near-seafront property, and, between the buildings closest to the water, I could just make out a very humble looking dock that currently held naught but one vessel. A few townsfolk, weary seemingly from a hard day's work, appeared to be heading towards the rather modest inn that was conveniently situated right at the edge of town. There were still others further down the sloped dirt road, only just now trudging out from what looked to be a mine on the near opposite side of the settlement, covered in grime and dried sweat and practically radiating complacent despondency. The majority of them seemed to be intent on disappearing into the relative comfort of their homes, but a few were headed in our direction, doubtless intending to spend an uneventful evening drinking at the inn. And, at least upon a cursory glance, it would seem that it was business as usual for them.

But, as the off-duty miners approached us, I could not help but feel as if there was something odd about their demeanor. While it only made sense that they would be exhausted from a hard day's work consisting of manual labor, there were no idle conversations or discussions of events of any sort between them. As they drew closer, I noted with shock there wasn't one among them that didn't have sockets darker than bruises and eyes as bloodshot as mine were beginning to feel. If it had just been one or two individuals in the group, it would not have made me suspicious, but all five seemed like they had not slept well in quite some time.

Coupling this with the fact Melisande had informed me that Vaermina's influence was particularly strong here, a part of me wanted desperately to say "screw this" and turn around and head home.

Of course, that had stopped being a conceivable option quite a while ago. I firmly chased off any ridiculous notions of fleeing as I attempted to appear as unaffected by the states of the miners as possible, though I did not make any effort to start any dialogue with them myself. Adir, however, made the first move, catching a burned-out looking older gentleman's attention with, "Pardon me, sir, but our wagon broke down about half an hour away from here. Do you know of anyone who could help us with repairs?"

The Nord frowned as he turned to look at us, giving Kha'Drazza a look that unsettled me before replying, "Picked a bad place to wreck your cart, then. Dawnstar's a mining town, stranger. Don't know if you've noticed, but trees're scarce around here. We don't have a mill, either. Our blacksmith might be able to help you out, though - you should talk to Rustleif, or his wife, Seren."

"Thank you," Adir replied gratefully, only getting an acknowledging grunt in response before the miner brushed past us and headed up the steps of the inn.

"Well, it is a start, no?" Kha'Drazza remarked, though she appeared somewhat distracted as she spoke and her tail now hung lower to the ground, twitching infrequently in a rather agitated manner. "The sooner our company does find someone to help, the better."

"Is something wrong?" I asked, unsure as to why she seemed so unsettled.

"Not yet, at least," she replied slowly, "This one suspects that she is not 'supposed' to be here. Or allowed, perhaps."

"Wait, what? Just who would be so bothered by your existence around here?" I couldn't keep the bewildered disgust from my voice as I made that exclamation, and the dagi-raht flinched slightly, eyes flicking to the side as if trying to ensure that no one had noticed my outburst.

"You didn't know?" Adir asked, sounding surprised. "Oftentimes larger nordic communities take issue with khajiiti or argonian individuals taking up even temporary residence in their cities. Most attribute this bias to unfortunate stereotypes that have estranged them from wanting anything to do with so called 'beast races'. So, they just bar entrance to their main cities entirely, and, even outside them, do not make much of an effort to be hospitable, from what I have heard."