Chapter 19: Some Books Are Better Left Unopened

In that instant, the journal emitted a flash of incredibly bright purplish-white light, momentarily blinding me as a fierce wind kicked up, and I brought an arm up over my eyes protectively as I tried to figure out what on Nirn was going on. The ring, still in located securely in the lock, was glowing intensely, though it was no longer as blinding, but it was far from finished with whatever it was doing as it suddenly issued a translucent beam of the aforementioned colored light that shot towards the heavens, unwavering and awe-inspiring. I was certain that people all over Skyrim could see it, or at least the people in Whiterun or in Ivarstead would be in for an interesting evening. I glanced over at Nightbrook to try and guess his reaction, only to notice that his hood had been knocked away from his face, presumably by the gale that was still continuing to mess with my hair and tear at my robes, and I couldn't help but stare.

I'd be lying if I didn't say that he was considerably more attractive than I'd been expecting. His facial features were defined and somewhat angular, like those of a typical mer, with his defined, slightly sharp-looking jaw and high cheekbones giving him a dramatic, regal look. His skin was entirely absent of wrinkles, and was light, almost pale white -but of a healthy pallor - and had an almost golden sheen to it, clearly displaying his mixed bloodline, and my eyes immediately flickered to a rather noteworthy scar located on the left side of his face just under his lower lip, and, though it was only a few centimeters in length, it stood out quite a bit against the rest of his skin, as it had healed a bit darker than the rest. His eyes turned out to have deep reddish-brown irises and golden-yellow sclera, and they were currently filled with confusion and awe as he stared at the journal. His slightly long, pale golden mane was being ripped out of its once neat bun by the out of control gale, and tendrils of his freed hair were waving in the breeze almost as if they were sentient.

I was brought out of my stunned reverie of sorts by an obnoxiously loud yawn, one clearly feminine in tone - and it definitely was not coming from me. I whirled around, my eyes landing on a semi-transparent purplish individual currently hovering over the spot where the journal lay, stretching their arms over their head leisurely, their eyes closed as they did so. My jaw practically dropped when I realized she looked eerily similar to me, only taller and a bit older, not to mention she had a rather pronounced scar marring her face, running from the right side of her forehead, just above her eyebrow and ending slightly below the right side of her lips in a relatively thick, diagonal line. Also, despite them being the same transparent purple of the rest of the 'person', she was even wearing the same robes as I was, though they fit her considerably better than they did me - which could only mean one thing.

"Ahhhhhh...." The apparition groaned, the sound of her voice oddly loud as she opened her uncomfortably bright, glowing white eyes to half-glare at me accusingly, "Took you long enough to get around to letting me out of that thing. Gods, that has got to be the worst idea I've..."

She trailed off suddenly as her gaze moved from me to my companion, and her countenance shifted from a petulant half-frown to an enormous grin. "I don't believe it! Barannir Nightbrook, you sly fox, I should've known you'd still be around wreaking havoc across Tamriel, with your nine lives and all. And I shouldn't be too surprised you ran into my descendant, either, I suppose, but it's rather nice to see you again - though I wish it was under better circumstances."

I turned to look at Nightbrook - or Barannir, as the woman had addressed him -, and his typically cool, calm, and collected attitude was completely absent as he stared vacantly at the phantasm, completely at a loss for words. Finally, he spoke up, his voice cracking slightly with emotion as he exclaimed, "Mélisande! I... Is that really you? How is this possible?"