Ch. 20: Echo House

I stood at the back of the police station, secretly having a conversation with Derek, who was locked inside a jail cell, framed for murder.

"What do you have?" I asked.

"They're moving all the Katashi evidence into Federal Lockup," Derek answered. "By armored car tonight."

"I'll tell the others," I told him. "Anything else?"

"Yeah. Keep yourself out of trouble."

"As long as you stop thinking you have control over me while rotting in a cell next to Argent for a crime you didn't do." I scoffed, shaking my head. "But we both know neither of those are gonna happen."

"Yeah," Derek said with a sigh. "What about you? You have anything to tell me?"

"Uh, yeah," I said, hesitating a second before I went on. "I need to tell you what happened the other night, and what I'm gonna do after what happened."

Then I told him what I was planning on doing.

*

But I had to go to the Argents' apartment now.

I stood walked inside with Scott and the twins as I told them, "Derek said that all the Katashi evidence is being moved to Federal Lockup by armored car tonight. Probably within the next few hours."

"We're gonna rob an armored car?" Ethan asked.

"Well, we're gonna try," Lydia said at the end of the hall.

*

"This is a really bad plan," Scott said.

"It's not that bad," Lydia said.

"It's not that good," I said.

"None of us knows the route they're going to take," Lydia started to explain. "If Allison can get one of her dad's GPS trackers on the armored car, then we can follow it."

Pointing at a mark on the map on the desk, Allison said, "So when it gets here--"

"We attack them," Aiden said.

Lydia faced him as I leaned forward against the desk. "No. Your bikes will be in the middle of the road looking like you guys got into an accident. And when the driver gets out to help--"

"We attack them," Aiden repeated.

"No," Lydia and Allison said at the same time I said in annoyance, "No, you idiot."

I said alone, "You'll distract him. And Scott will break open the back door."

"I hope," Scott said.

Lydia looked at Ethan. "And you'll get his finger."

"It's not his actual finger, is it?" Ethan asked.

"You are so out of our league."

"Why aren't we just going to Stilinski for help?"

"Because if he gets caught, then it's the sheriff tampering with federal evidence," Scott answered.

"Guys, this is going to work," Allison said. "We can do this. We're losing Stiles. My dad is in jail for murder." I looked to the side, and she revised, "My dad and your brother. We need to do this."

Yeah, we needed to do this, but could we actually do it?

*

I exhaled, in Scott's house and walking toward the door as he followed me.

I was about to open the door when Scott asked, "Is it true?"

I stopped, looking down at my hand on the door handle, knowing exactly what he was asking, but I pretended I didn't. "Is what true?"