e p i l o g u e

The one who withstands my curse will be my true love. My touch was something even I feared. For someone to selflessly hold my hand while I was falling to my doom was enough to make my heart tear up. He meant what he said that he would rather die than live without me. But what surprised me was the shock of pain I felt when he touched my hand, my heart screaming in a warning for him to get away.

I was more accepting to the terms of my death but seeing Jayden coming this close to death was mortifying for me. But the miracle of seeing him this close and alive was happening to me.

Oh, he did burn as per the vision and dreams. He was turned into ashes as soon as he touched me but the burning was different altogether. He was beautiful and hot and alive. He was human alright but the fire formed wings around him and his body was outlined with fire as well.

It took me a moment to realise he was a phoenix. As we landed down safely I almost jumped off his arms still afraid of what might happen.

But he was smiling, his eyes filled with absolute adoration that sent thrills through my bones.

He extended his hands and raised his brow waiting for me to hold them. Breathing hard I took a little courage and slowly moved my hand forward placing my callous hands in his warm ones. Habitually I flinched and my eyes shuttered close.

"Frozen, can I kiss you now?" He asked and I fluttered my eyes open.

The rush of relief through me was almost weakening.

"Yes, please." I nodded.

His thumb reached out to wipe the unnoticed tears my eyes started shedding and softly cupping my cheek his hands his lips touched mine. I can't believe this was happening but it. My hands were interlaced behind his neck and I pulled him closer making him smile between the kisses.

"Thank you," I whispered.

"For what?" He asked his forehead resting on mine.

I didn't open my eyes as we savored this moment.

"For loving me," I said my voice heavy with emotion.

"No, Frozen, thank you." He whispered back and I opened my eyes to why he was thanking me.

"For what?" I mirrored his words.

"For ... everything." He tried, to sum up, his emotions.

"So you are a half-phoenix?" I asked still observing how my hands rested on his shoulder.

The curse was gone or maybe Jayden was immune to it.

"I told you I was the fire you can't escape." He smirked and I felt myself smile at this.

"True love, uh?" I said sighing deeply as this seemed like a bigger plan of the destiny.

"True love." He confirmed nothing mocking about his tone or look.

"Do you know what that means?" Because I didn't.

"What do you think it means?"

"Well Jayden, it does contain the word true in it." I jibed at him for his lies.

He winced at my words and I tried not to feel guilty. He did lie to me.

"True love means that unlike the temporary flings around you need to faithful to me." I tried to lighten up.

"Well, I can't promise that." He said with mock devastated expression.

I hit his chest and laughed vibrated through it filling me with a new sense of joy.