chapter six: reconsider?

I shove the whole thing into the far-back recesses of my brain. It's sickening. It's twisted.

I'm over it.

For two days, I go back to normal life. Hayden catches the flu, and he's out of school for those two days, which frustrates me. I called him up and explained the whole insane science-fiction type scenario, and he agreed that it was pretty much insanity.

On the second day, Aidan somehow gets ahold of my email address. He emails me:

Reid, I can assure you that Dr. Terrance meant no ill will by sharing the details of your birth, or by suggesting his project. He wanted you because he came across your medical history and thought you would be young and healthy and able to be safely frozen. He was excited to work you into the project. There are four other subjects, and they are also great candidates to undergo cryosleep.

I am tempted to type, "You're sick," and block him.

But I need to be the bigger person and let it all go. So I send a simple: Sorry, but I'm not interested. No hard feelings.

Think about it, he responds.

I slam my palm down on the kitchen table. I don't WANT to think about it, I want to scream. I said no! What part of that two-letter word do you not understand?!

So instead I just don't respond.

After dinner that night I'm reading my science book, and I come across a mention of cryonics.

Cryonics is also about the life after revival: renewed youth and health.

So...this is supposed to be a good thing? Could it be true that Dr. Terrance is excited about offering me and Subjects 1, 2, 3, and 5 'renewed youth and health', instead of simply being excited about experimenting?

I remember what Aidan said. Think about it.

I did.

And it somehow interests me. Just a little.

But...is he crazy? He had said 'you wouldn't miss much.' But six whole months, minimum? That's losing everything.

Sorry this is such an EXTREMELY short chapter, but I wanted to section the next part off into three of its own chapters. Please vote/comment if you like it! Thank you!!!