chapter five: decisions decisions

I get up from my chair. My knuckles wrap tight around the back of it, bloodless and pale. "That's a lie." A blatant lie. Who does he think he is?

"Reid! Reid. Calm down. Look. If you don't believe me, read the documents." He shoves the papers across the table to me. I am too flustered to read every word, but I do catch words that prove his point. In vitro. Petri dish. Artificial insemination.

"How are you going to prove that isn't forged?" I step back, crossing my arms defensively. I have my rights. I was-am-a completely normal teenager. How dare he try to convince me that oh wait, I was actually conceived in a freaking petri dish?!

"Look," he says, pointing to another page. "That's your parents' signatures."

I look. They are pretty similar to what my parents' signatures look like, I have to admit. Josiah Ridley, Rachel Ridley.

Okay, fine.

"Okay, FINE," I say angrily. "Thanks, by the way, for just springing this on me. Very considerate. So what's your point? Why did you call me here, if not to practically ruin my life? Did you want me to go into a career breaking the news to other test tube babies?" I practically spit out the words. I am furious! Why didn't my parents tell me? Why did he just blurt it out like he was telling me I had blue eyes?

Because to be honest, yes, I do believe him. It somehow makes sense.

"Reid, son, that wasn't the reason. It wasn't the reason at all. I thought you knew." He now looks puzzled.

I roll my eyes at him, but I take a seat anyway. I remind myself that he is my elder, and therefore I need to respect him, even though I consider his most recent words idiocy.

I take a deep breath, calm myself, and say, "I'm sorry, sir, but unfortunately I was not previously aware of this information. Apologies for my outburst."

He begins to laugh softly. "Oh, Reid. What a beautiful child you are."

I try my hardest, but I can't help staring.

"I'm sorry," he says finally. "I genuinely thought you were aware of your background. I would not have asked for you if I thought you did not know. My apologies for breaking it to you so harshly." He clears his throat. "And to clarify, my last statement was out of appreciation for your respect and maturity. It takes courage to hear news like that, and much self control to rein in those emotions. That wasn't a test, Reid, but if it had been you would have passed with flying colors."

"Thank you," is all I can say, and I can't keep a hint of bitterness out of my tone. "Now, if you don't mind me asking, would you mind sharing the project with me? Why did you bring me here?"

"I-" Dr. Terrance hesitates. "I think I've already traumatized you enough. You didn't know. So you can leave. I won't keep you any longer."

"No," I say, and it comes out more adamant that I expected. "Sir, I made a commitment. I expect to fulfill it."

He looks steadily at me, nodding slowly.

"You're hired," he says decisively.

"Thank you, but sir-" Would you at least tell me what I'll be doing?! He's beginning to irritate me greatly.

"I'm sorry, Reid. I'll show you." He pulls out another page. "As you now know, you were created in vitro. For two years you were a frozen embryo. You were born eight and a half months later. So, you could say you have already had experience undergoing a freezing experiment."

I push my palms against the table, shoving my chair backwards. "What are you saying?"

"We're running experiments," Dr. Terrance says. "Choosing specimens to undergo a freezing treatment. Become immersed in our world of cryonic knowledge. Reid," he beams at me, gleeful at sharing what he considers a monstrously exciting opportunity​, "we chose you as subject number four."

"What are you doing with your subjects?" I'm so confused, obviously missing something.

"They're undergoing cryosleep, I guess you could say. We're deep freezing them, causing them to hibernate so we can learn more about how to wake a corpse from cryosleep."

I stare at him. You're a psycho is running through my head. "For how long?"

"A year at most. You wouldn't miss much. We make improvements to the human body, then after six months we wake you. Sometimes it doesn't work. I have to be honest about ​the chances of our new strategy: the odds are against us."

"Then why are you trying with humans? Don't you have enough rats?"

"See, but the rats can't tell you what they are experiencing," Dr. Terrance says, as if I am terribly stupid.

"How many cases have you successfully revived?" I ask.

He hems and haws. "Mmmm, not a great many."

"How many?" I bark.

He wrings his hands. "Zero."

I laugh, a raw and bitter sound. "You expect me to fall for this?"

"As of yet," he protests. "We have not succeeded as of yet! We would with our new subjects. All five of you are perfect. Healthy and young and athletic. Beautiful children, all of you. It would be so educational..."

"If your research continuously kills teenagers, I'm out," I say. "I can't believe you do this. Can't believe you're asking my permission. If you truly care, why wouldn't you kidnap me first? It seems like you would have no problem going to that extreme." I slap the pages on the table. "And by the way, you shouldn't have those files either. I'll have a word with my dad about that. Please stop harassing me and others. I apologize for taking your time." I'm practically hissing. I'm livid. As I stand and gather my things, I wonder at such a twisted human being. Willing to sacrifice innocent lives for science.

"Amazing," I mutter under my breath, and I storm out of the room.

I wrote this rather late at night on a mobile device, so you're welcome to inform me of any spelling or grammar errors. What do you think of Dr. Terrance? Is he psychotic or just deluded?
Thanks for reading!! 😃