Chapter Twenty-Five: The Devil's Lioness

Start from the beginning

The scars on her back burned at the memory of her past and the reason to her father being in prison. Her jaw clenched as she dodged the incoming hit towards her right thigh. She could feel those scorching eyes on her. She could feel his anger at her lack of fight in her. Her next match was in two days and she knew he didn't quite enjoy what he was seeing now. She wasn't focus at all. Her punches were sloppy and her kicks hardly had force and power in them. She knew of the consequences were in being this sloppy in today's practice. Those consequences led to her body being black and blue.

Ace Lockwood may love her as a daughter but as his champion fighter, he hated her performance. Too deep in her troubled thoughts, she didn't see the next hit towards her side until she felt it. That powerful kick that threw her down onto the mat. The smack of her face hitting the harsh mat made her groan as she saw her opponent bend down, gently slapping her cheek. A grim look on his face but that look didn't worry her. It was the look on Ace's face who took long drags of his cigar, leaning against the pole.

"If you're holding back, today's not the day to do that," Francisco muttered, his hazel eyes showing sympathy.

Her gaze flickered back to Ace who let out a puff of smoke in the air.

"Get up, Kat," Francisco patted her arm. He was afraid for her just like the other fighters training around them.

She nodded mutely and got up, forcing herself not to wince at the pain raging from her ribs but it slipped. Fear surged through her body as she heard the low grunt coming from where Ace stood.

"Am I seeing correctly?" Ace hummed, taking another drag from his cigar. His dark eyes were unnerving, burning holes into her skin. "Did my little fighter show pain?"

Kat looked at him, clenching her fists tightly. "It's nothing."

He chuckled, "It's 'nothing'? Doesn't look like nothing, Katelyn. You had received harder hits than that. Painful hits that never let you lose focus. This is a practice match not a real match and you are distracted." Ace growled, approaching her like the devil he is and grabbed her face in his large hand, squeezing it painfully. "If it's that stupid girl that's making you lose focus, I won't hesitate to send Ramon after her. You understand?"

She hated this man with her entire being.

She hated that he had power over her. Her life was in his hands – a debt she would never pay off. Might as well sell her soul to him because she would never leave his grasp.

"Yes, sir," she uttered as she stared at those dark eyes of his.

A smirk pulled at his lips, "How much do you care for her, hmm?"

Don't show him no emotion, she told herself. Don't show him that she means more than everything. He'll hurt her. He'll force you to watch her be beaten...or worse. Don't. Show. Him. Nothing.

"She means nothing to me," she said, those words burning her lips.

"Oh, Kat, you know how much I hate being lied to," he released her face, taking another drag from his cigar. He blew the smoke into her face, a wicked smile was all she saw through the haze.

"I'm not lying – "

She saw it coming.

The loud slap echoed through the room, silencing every movement. Her right cheek burned with so much intensity. She was used to his hits, though. This slap was nothing compared to what he can do. She had seen what he could do to others and she had felt it as well. Her jaw ached but she didn't waver as she stood in front of him, ignoring the pity looks Francisco sent her.