Just an Idea

Three years passed, and Minerva hadn’t so much as a letter from Ruby. She didn’t know if she was dead or alive, happy or sad; she knew nothing of her child.

She’d gone back to teaching, and tried to continue life as normal.

After all, it’s all she’d known in her life. Dougal and her had never worked out, and Elphinstone had passed on...

“Maybe I’m just destined to be alone.” She sighed to herself.

*************

My name is Ruby McGonagall.

I’m thirteen years old.

I ran away from home when I was ten.

And I found a woman who loved me.

She was a witch, but I wasn’t.

So I ran away from her when I was eleven.

I shouldn’t have run away.

But it was the only thing I’ve ever known how to do.

Now I’m thirteen, and I’ve grown up before my time.

*************************

“We should make a school, no, not a school. We shouldn’t make a school.” Lillie said thoughtfully.

“What are you thinking Lils?” Kellie asked.

“We should like make a sanctuary.” She said. “A place for lost girls, and guys I guess, just kids with nowhere to go.”

“That’s what we are already, aren’t we?” Said Jia.

“But like, we should like, Lynn, don’t make me think. Pffg brain fart.” Lillie tried to explain, failed, and then rolled over.

“If Mia was here, she could translate for us.” Kellie said soothingly. Mia had somehow gotten herself a university scholarship and now only came home on weekends.

“I wish I was a cat.”Lillie said.

“I wish I was a goat.”Jia replied.

“I wish I was a witch.”Ruby said to them, and the group laughed.

“You are a witch, come on, how else do you make things levitate?” Kellie said to her.

“We’re all magic, aren’t we?” Jia said thoughtfully.

“I think so, that’s why I can see the future.” Said Lillie, staring at Ruby.

“Yeah,” Kellie smiled. “I know, that’s why I can read the top thought on people’s minds.”

“That’s why I can see everyone’s past. That’s why I know what you’re all running from.” Jia said “What are you running from then?” Ruby threw at her.

“An abusive mother.” Jia said, and then the group sat in complete silence.

Minutes passed.

Then Kellie and Lillie looked at each other and burst out into hysterics.

“What the hell!” Jia said, but she was laughing too.

Everyone was laughing.

Four girls from broken homes.

How peculiar that they united.

“I figured it out.” Lillie said suddenly.

“What?”

“We should cast a spell. A spell to make lost kids, like us, turn up here so we can look after them and stuff.”

“Do you know how many lost kids there are in the world?” Jia said rather rudely.

“No, do you?” Lillie said equalling her tone.

“Touché.” Jia said.

“But like, lost witches and stuff.... I don’t know.”

“But still, we should all get jobs – part-time jobs and get enough money to fix this place up.” Kellie added in.

“ALRIGHT! LET’S DO THIS! OH YEAH!” ruby shouted, taking herself by surprise.

And so the four walked around the streets asking for jobs, and by the end of the day none were successful.

“Well, that was a big waste of time.” Lillie said, while Jia hummed to herself to calm down.

“I got given twenty pounds for being funny.” Said kellie happily.

“What did you do?”

“Apparently being polite is funny.” She shrugged.

“JIA SING!” Ruby yelled. Being boisterous wasn’t Ruby’s strong point, but when it happened, it was final. She’d always end up making the definite decisions.

“Wh-What?” Jia said.

“NOW YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO US!” Lillie said quite loudly.

“SING DAMNIT!” Kellie said.

“I don’t know a song!”

“Make one up.” Ruby said thoughtfully.

“But I need a tune.” Jia continued to make it impossible to counter. Almost impossible.

The twins exchanged a grin and started making noises to make a beat.

“I can’t make up a song!” Jia whined.

“What’s one of the songs that played in a shop today?”

She walks to school with the lunch she packed,

Nobody knows what she’s holding back.

Wearing the same dress she wore yesterday,

She has the bruises with her linen and lace.”

Lillie and Kellie exchanged a look with their mouths hanging open. They knew she could sing. But they didn’t know she was this good.

“Okay, Jia can go be a busker; Ruby can research a spell to bring people here...And Umm...” Kellie started.

“And we will use our amazing skills to make this place fit for human habitation.” Lillie finished, and the twins smiled at each other, before a knock on the door startled the lot of them.

“Today’s Saturday! It should be Mia!” Jia squealed.

The four girls ran to the door, but it was not Mia standing over the threshold.

It was the police.