So Much For Peace And Quiet

Start from the beginning

I've got quirks but they work
I've learned to love those things
Yeah
You don't have to be anyone but you
So let me hear you sing

I sang, putting my heart in it as I bobbed my head to the rhythm. I didn't even notice footsteps walking into the living room, stopping a few feet away. When I ended the sang, I just sat there, playing random keys as I smiled to myself. I nearly jumped off my seat when someone started clapping.

"Wow, that was beautiful," Uncle Dave said gently.

I turned towards the sound of his voice and smiled wider, "Thank you. Shouldn't you be at work or something? Where's Mary?"

"She's at Jersey's place, watching over Sammy since she couldn't find someone to cover her shift."

Jersey is Mary's 27 year old sister who has a son named Sammy. They sometimes come over for dinner. Sammy is five years old and he is really sweet. I love him a lot.

"Aww, why didn't she just bring him over?"

"He's been feeling sick since yesterday, that's why Mary had to go there instead."

I nodded, "Well, I hope he gets better soon."

Uncle Dave snorted, "That boy is strong. I bet he's bouncing around the house, driving Mary mad."

I laughed, "Yeah, true. I'm going to head out to the park."

"Okay, be safe. Don't get into trouble," he said as he walked out of the room.

I rolled my eyes. Why does he keep assuming I'd cause trouble?

I was currently sitting at a bench, listening to the people around me. I could hear the children running and laughing with each other as the adults talked to each other about the funny things that happened the past week. I was slightly smiling, feeling the cheerful air bringing up my mood when someone sat beside me. I didn't turn to acknowledge the person, but I knew who it was.

"Why didn't you come to school today?"

"I didn't feel like going."

"Why not?"

"Ryder, why would anyone want to go to that hellhole?"

He chuckled, "Point taken. So you didn't feel like going yesterday too?"

I hummed in response and leaned my head back.

He was silent for a moment. "It was boring in class without you."

I smirked and slightly turned his way, "Are you saying you missed me?"

He scoffed, "No, I'm just saying that I had no one to annoy for the past two days."

I kept the smirk on my face, "Sure, sure. Whatever you say, King."

He nudged me playfully, "You're still annoying as ever, Winters."

"Yeah, I know."

Silence enveloped us once again when he suddenly stood up and pulled me up. "What the-"

"Come on, you're being boring. Let's go get ice cream."

I scowled as he pulled me after him. "I wasn't being boring, I was enjoying the peace and quiet until you decided to bother me."

"Boring," he sang as he continued to pull me along.

I sighed and just let it go. When we finally entered the ice cream shop, I winced at the loud noises of screaming hyper children. Great, so much for peace and quiet.