Chapter 23.5--Two Stars Shine Brighter Than One

Start from the beginning

"Coley-Woley," Someone called behind Mr. Parris. A young woman wearing a bright red mermaid dress that easily hugged her curves was walking towards us. She was a strawberry blonde with long cascading hair. For a second I could have sworn I saw her somewhere else.

Cole smiled when she reached us. He put his arm gently around her waist and kissed the side of her head. Then turned to us and introduced us. "Jodee these are my friends and coworkers. Parker and Aaron."

"Hi," Jodee said shaking my hand. That's probably how I recognized her. She was in an article with Cole. "Are you two just as rich and uptight as everyone else here is?"

Cole sighed and placed his fingers at the bridge of his nose. In a soft voice he said, "Jo-Jo we talked about this."

She rolled her eyes, "No. You talked about it. I was too busy making cookies to listen."

They both started having a small whispering banter. I glanced over at Aaron who only seemed amused. Jodee and Cole were in the midst of arguing when Matt stepped in. "Let's not create a scene here now you two," he said. Then muttered, "For once."

"Well I'm going to get some food," Jodee said strutting away as she put emphasis on her hips.

"Bring me some caviar," Cole called after her—obviously staring at her butt.

"No promises."

Cole rolled his eyes and turned his attention back to us. "She's my girlfriend," He said quickly. I tried not to laugh. I think I picked up their relationship the moment Jodee called him 'Coley-Woley.' I'd never pictured Cole Parris with a girl like her. She was demanding and so much more energetic than I'd have thought. I guess I thought Cole would be the kind to go after book nerds or just general nerds. Nope, she was the complete opposite of what I imagined. But she seemed cool.

"They argue all the time," Matt complained as he rolled his eyes. "Once, Jodee was so pissed at Cole for leaving the toilet seat up she literally waited for him outside of our conference room to yell at him. Our clients left the room while Cole and I hid in the room eating the complementary donuts."

"Then we finally left," Cole continued the story. "Jodee was still waiting and we got into a huge argument."

"It was actually really funny seeing her blow up," Matt added with a chuckle.

"Just for a toilet seat?" I asked and they nodded. I looked up at Aaron, "I promise I'll never do that."

Aaron chuckled and Cole muttered, "Doesn't that sound nice. A regular relationship."

"Mr. Mosdenea," An older gentleman said walking up to us. He was one of the many that was wearing an ascot and holding a cane. He looked at Aaron up and down—a smile appearing on his face, "My God is it really you?"

Aaron's posture stiffened up. He nodded politely at the man while shaking his hand and saying, "It's a pleasure seeing you again Mr. Watkins."

"You know," Mr. Watkins said while smacking his lips. He pointed at Cole but kept his eyes on Aaron. "When Mr. Parris here told me you were one of the members that was presenting, I have to admit I was quite hesitant."

Aaron's eyes narrowed on the older man. Mr. Watkins turned his gaze away—I could only assume it was because of how intense Aaron's eyes are. "You were?" Aaron asked in a monotone voice. He put his arm on Mr. Watkins shoulder and started steering him in a different direction.

"Well with you're hist—"

Aaron cut him off, "I'm sure we can discuss that another day."

I couldn't hear the rest of the conversation because Aaron had entirely turned Mr. Watkins away from us. They were walking down the large crowd of people, talking like old buddies that were reconnecting. I couldn't help but frown. Does everyone around me know Aaron's background? Because I sure as heck don't.