The Dutiful Knight and The Prodigal Son

Start from the beginning

"Out of curiosity," he repeated. "Would you? Even if I was penniless and without title. If I had nothing to offer you but my love. Would you be content to live your life with me? As simple as it would be?"

Viva wasn't sure how she should answer his inquiry. Nothing so serious had passed between them this way. They slept on separate floors, never called their relationship by a specific name, and although he kissed her and held her hand it never went beyond that. It would be a year in a few months since she found him. In all that time she never thought past tomorrow.

"Whenever I imagine my future you're in it," she confessed. "The way you are right now, as Luc Fernbrooke, is the way I would have you. I'd change not a single hair on your head."

He looked at her for so long she was almost tempted to ask him what the matter was. When she was about to speak he kissed both her hands. "Vivia Ellspire you are the greatest thing to ever happen to me and I do not deserve you."

"And what prompted you to say that?" she asked.

"I just thought that you should know."

"Know what?"

"That I love you. And when I think about life without you I can't bear it. It fills me with anguish and I think I might die."

Vivia hadn't realized she was crying. Every time she blinked her eyelashes became soaked. "What's the matter? Why are you saying all these things?"

"Because I must go away."

She pulled away from him. "What?"

A muscle jumped in Luc's jaw but he would not answer her question. The tears were coming fiercely now. She rose from her seat but she couldn't see where she was going and walked right into the railing. She gripped it tightly and willed herself to be strong. She knew this day was coming. How could she have been so stupid? Luc was a knight from Calais. How could she be so foolish to think that a simple girl like herself and a simple family like her own could be enough for him?

Luc got up but when he reached for her she pulled away. Every part of her ached like she'd fallen down an endless flight of stairs. She kept rolling and tumbling and wouldn't stop.

"I must go. It's my duty."

"Your duty..." she repeated. "You left Calais because you hated it."

"But that's all changed now—"

"You don't hate it anymore?"

"No, that's not—!" he shook his head. "The King is ill."

"And?"

"The Crown Prince is abdicating in favor of his younger brother. You may not understand now, Vivia. But this is all my doing. And I must return and fix it before a grave mistake is made."

Vivia thought before that she would be happy with Luc. That if he stayed, they could live out the rest of their lives together. She thought many things that would now only live in the recess of her memory for they were no longer a possibility; they were nothing but hopeful dreams now.

"I will return—"

She turned to face him. "No. Do not make promises to me that you know in your heart you cannot keep for certain." She exhaled deeply. "You have my blessing. Leave and do what you must. And if faith should have it that you return to me then I will welcome you back here with open arms. If it doesn't then these past nine months will have been the best of my life and all my memories of you I shall keep close to my heart with great tenderness. But do not let me keep you from your duty. Even if it pains me to see you go."

After a long while, he smiled but it was full of sorrow. "Every day you do something new and it reminds me just how unworthy I am of you."

The night suddenly felt cold even though it was the end of summer. She wrapped her arms around herself. "So this is it?"

"This is not goodbye. Vivia," he seized her by the shoulders and willed her to look at him because before she wouldn't. Now she had to. "Look at me. This isn't goodbye. I swear it."

"Say what you will. The moment you step foot in Calais you will forget about Canta. It will be like the last nine months never happened."

He kissed her fiercely and even though a part of Vivia wanted to pull away she didn't. She allowed herself to feel safe in his embrace if only for a moment. In her heart, she knew she'd never see him again. So she savored the way his lips felt against hers and the feeling of his hair beneath her fingertips. She was saying goodbye and farewell to her knight.

She prayed that whatever path his life took him on, it was safe and prosperous. She wished only for his happiness.

***

Three Weeks Later

Lukas unfazed by guards, politicians, or members of court that stared at him in disbelief as he made his way down the extravagant halls of the palace. Massive glass windows, vaulted ceilings, high arches, and glistening floors with a grand carpet running straight down the middle. Women passed by him in a flurry of round and elaborate gowns with makeup on their faces, their hair expertly curled, and jewels adorning their bodies as if they were treasures on display.

Men passed them too—with swords hanging from their hips and armor protecting their bodies but they were all too stunned to speak. Good, he thought. Let them look.

He finally approached a the grand set of doors to the throne room and even though the two guards looked just as frazzled as everyone else, one of them managed to speak.

"Your Highness," he stuttered. "You cannot go in there."

"Well it's a bloody good thing I don't give a damn, isn't?" Lukas said and pushed the doors open himself.

Sitting on a massive throne surrounded by advisors was the King of Novena looking as healthy as ever. He smiled. "Well, the prodigal son returns."

"Hello father," he said. "I heard you were dying. How disappointing."

The King examined carefully. "If someone could fill Prince Lucien in on all he's missed. He's been gone a very long time."

*

*

*

Surprise! This is the reason why it's taken me so long to update this last week. I've been working on a trailer for you guys! It is not, by any means, the best but I certainly did try my hardest! There are very few movies out there that have the same look as the fantasy novel in my head but I did the best I could! I hope you guys like it!

XOXO Lilly