“That’s not going to work on me Flame.  You cannot pickpocket me.” 

            “Can’t I?” I asked, holding out the pouch I already held in my hand.

            He snatched it out of my hand, trying to scowl at me.  “Can you pay attention to me instead of the chocolate?  I want you to set a fire in your hand, one that will not burn you.”

            “Consider it done,” I said. 

            It was easier this time.  I closed my eyes for only a moment before the ball of flame sprang into my palm.  I opened my eyes and smiled at the little ball of flame.  It was warm to my touch, playing along my hands.  I tossed it from one hand to the other. 

            “Catch!” I cried, tossing the ball to Xament.  He caught it reflexively, surprised when it did not burn him. 

            I smiled at him, “Told you I wouldn’t hurt you.”

            I held out my hand to Obsidarian, waiting for my chocolate, but he held back.  “That was too easy,” he said.

            “What next then?” I challenged.  “Light up a tree?”

            The nearest tree caught fire, sending great plumes of smoke before collapsing in a pile of fine ash. 

            “Or maybe you want something less destructive,” I mused.  “A rope that will not burn?  Or would you rather see me walk upon fire as if it were solid ground?” 

            Within seconds Xament was attached to fiery puppet strings.  I moved my fingers expectantly and he dropped into an elegant bow. 

            “Dress him in something finer and he could be back in Effugere,” I laughed.  I flicked my wrist and the strings vanished.  I focused on the ground at my feet.  A small square of fire appeared.  I stepped onto it, and my foot fell through to the earth.  I stopped laughing.

            I closed my eyes and focused again, feeling for the magic, bending it to my will.  I held out my hand and glared at the patch of fire.  I bent my knees and leapt onto the fire.  I stood on it, a foot above the ground, as if the fire were solid.  I grinned and looked to Obsidarian. 

            “Can I have the mint now?  I need it,” I said.

            Still he shook his head, edging away from me.  “You have had enough for a day.  Clearly you have an unprecedented amount of power for any common pirate.  You are Flame.  We need to work on something else.”

            “But I enjoy this,” I protested.  “Can’t I have one more?”

            “No,” he said obstinately.  “It is too much.  You are supposed to be keeping a low profile.  We are going to work with your new dagger instead.”

            “My dagger?” I asked. 

            “No, the stiletto blade Captain Mají-jalio gave you, the enchanted one,” he retorted.  “Do you even remember what that is?  Or does the mint have such a hold that you know nothing but your fire?”

            I pulled the stiletto from my sash, and pointed it at Obsidarian.  “You cheat me, you said I would get another piece.”

            “FINE!” he yelled.  “We will do this your way.  We will go to the Captain Storm’s camp.  You will go in, steal three things from different places, and bring them to me.  You will not be seen.  No one should know you were even there.  Do all of this, and then we will talk of mint chocolates and rewards.”