Six

Kilorn and Cameron are the only ones who are able to lead us out of Archeon. Everyone, myself and Cal included, are to shocked to move, let alone lead our group to safety.

We lost.

We were so focused on Maven that we never took the time to watch out backs. We never thought to watch out for anybody else coming against us.

And we lost

everything.

The Guard. Kyra. Soren. Countless newbloods and reds. Gone.

We lost Norta and now...

We have nothing left.

I stand in front of the safe house in the middle of the woods, holding onto Cal's arm. I can feel his muscles underneath the thin material of his shirt. I lean in to him, needing him physically. He is almost to hot to touch, but I hold on tighter. I'm used to it, his flaming emotions. But I still wonder what he is thinking, what is beyond his golden eyes, but I am too distraught to ask.

"Tramy is in there." I state plainly.

Cal nods, staring at the small cabin. Everyone else is already moving, setting up tents for all the people and planning what to do next. Not everyone will fit inside, but for tonight, we'll be okay.

"He killed Gisa. Basically. Her chose me over her. He got her murdered." I say squeezing his arm and blinking fast to rid my eyes of hot tears. I'm rambling, but Cal doesn't stay a word, just stays by my side, letting me choose. I wait an extra moment before taking a deep breath. "Let's go inside."

He turns to face me and slowly leans in and kisses my forehead before grabbing my hand and walking with me to face my family. I am not alone.

For some reason I expected it to be a lot worse.

I thought there would be staring; glaring. I was prepared for crying and yelling and cursing and finger pointing.

But when I walk into the cabin holding onto my only life support, it's almost the opposite.

Kilorn and Cameron are bickering, going through our food supplies, which doesn't look like much. Random guard members and newbloods are going through things to help organize. And...

My family and the Colonel are sitting together, practically drooling over baby Hadley Claire Barrow. The Colonel less drooling and more proudly looking at her..

"Hey mom. Dad." I say, my voice cracking a bit. Cal puts an arm around my waist and gives my side a little squeeze to let me know he's with me. He's there. No matter what.

They all whip their heads around and find my eyes. I walk over to them, letting Cal's arm slip from my hips. My mother has tears in her eyes, which will never surprise me. she is a very emotional woman, where I feel as if my heart has been imprisoned in ice. I am frozen, unable to move, to feel.

I hug my mom, welcoming her right embrace and holding on a little longer for once in a desperate attempt to feel innocent again. Like a child. I hardly wish to be that little girl from the Stilts again, but I wish I had her problems.

"I'm sorry," I say, my voice cracking again, the words coming out in more of a whisper. "I'm so sorry," I repeat, pulling back. "I didn't mean for all this to happen. I didn't mean to kill your kids or cause you stress. I was just trying to... make it all better." Then I can't hold it in any longer and I cry into my mother's shoulder like I did when I was little. I cry and cry as she holds me tight, striking my hair and hushing me like she used to.

I say again, through my tears, "I'm so sorry."