Two

Kyra

The four of them stand before the new king, looking up as he towers above them. He stands still on the steps that lead down to the heir of Norta. He appears calm, collected. But after a lifetime of enduring his visits, I know that he is frozen to his spot. He cannot move, in fear or anxiety or something, but he doesn't want them to realize it.

The young woman, which I can only assume is Mare by the way she seems so intimately familiar with Cal and how Jon called her little lightning girl, eyes me. I realize that, due to her recent captivity, she has no idea who I am or who the baby I am holding belongs too. Her own brother.

Cal speaks, but I miss it. I cannot hear a single word anymore because my eyes have locked onto Soren's. He's here. He's alive. Like he said he would be. The bewilderment on his face at my presence doesn't faze me, all I needed was to know that he is alive. My joy at his presence quickly fades, though, when I see his right arm. He holds it close to his side, trying to make it appear as if he is not afflicted by some injury. The red sleeves on his uniform cover most of it, but I can see the darker, deeper stain of blood. The tie around his muscle is not an armband like I first thought, but a bandage. His eyes dig into mine and I fear he can see right into the depths of my heart.

All too soon, Jon's voice snaps me from Soren's gaze. "A trade, my prince. An alliance. An agreement." His voice is chilling, echoing off the marble walls. He finally moves, meticulously making his way closer to Cal, enticing him.

"You should be king of Norta, yes?" He speaks only to Cal now, and the two silently size each other up. Jon is more of a feline, patient and smooth, difficult to anger but quick to swipe. Cal is a big dog, reliable upon his talents and how much noise he can make.

Jon continues. "I made a deal with the High Houses." He says. "A deal where they make it so I have the people of Norta behind me when I step up as king." He dips his head ever so slightly to make it so the crown atop it gleams. "They supplied their end of the deal, now it's my turn. I needed to stop the fighting, the wars." Jon points to the army behind him and the remainder of the Guard in front of him. "The Scarlet Guard is finished. I convinced Maven to blow them up. There's part of my side. My connections in the Lakelands and Piedmont make it fairly easy to cease all their fighting. All they wanted was Maven dead." I hear him chuckle. "I'm assuming the dear king is already cold."

Jon pauses for a moment, looking back at me and then at his prisoners. "Now there is only one more thing I need for the High Houses to be happy. Then you can have your friends, your lives and I'll even give you your freedom." Jon finishes his speech harshly, waiting for them to beg to know what he could possibly want.

I already know. Jon told me everything on the way here. I am his daughter. The daughter of a snake, a liar, a murderer. The daughter of a king.

A princess.

"What?" Mare speaks for Cal when he doesn't. "What do you need from us?" Her stance is strong, feet spread for balance, but I'm afraid that Jon's answer will make her topple.

He sneers at the lovebirds and I squeeze my eyes shut, praying this is all a dream.

"All I need is for you to give me Luka, and let me keep my daughter, along with Shade's child."

I gasp. I don't know why, but I do anyway. I already know how this will end. Two lives for the rest to live in peace is an easy choice. The only thing my... father didn't tell me is why he needs Luka, my guard. My friend. And that is another reason why I'm afraid.... I don't think I could handle his betrayal.

Well, I did it. I hope you like it!! What do you think is going to happen?? Love you guys!! Thanks