Chapter 6: Am I Worth Your Time?

Song: Don't Let Me Down (Acoustic cover) by Madilyn Bailey ft

Song: Don't Let Me Down (Acoustic cover) by Madilyn Bailey ft. Lost & Found

"Don't let me, don't let me, don't let me down
I think I'm losing my mind now
It's in my head, darling, I hope
That you'll be here, when I need you the most."

☼ ☽ ☼

Parties were never my thing.

I used to let Seth drag me to every single one, fully knowing I was only there as arm candy anyway. I always heard the whispers from his friends and the low whistles when I walked by. Now, arriving at Kyle's, I'm slightly timid when I step inside. I'm alone the moment I step through because Nina went on the search for Sam without saying a word.

Since I only know a handful of people here, I don't notice anyone right away. I'm sure Lukas is floating around somewhere, Kyle is probably talking to a girl that wants nothing to do with him, and I'm sure Jason and Jess are together somewhere. I focus on getting through the house first before I go look for Lukas. If it looks like I'm actually searching for someone, maybe I won't look so out of place. This house is packed with people.

When I don't find him on the first floor, I search the other two and fail. It's funny, because I didn't find Kyle either.

I move back down to the first floor and elbow my way through people to get to the back of the house. As I step through the sliding glass doors, I'm greeted by even more people. In the distance, I see a pool that's glowing blue and people surrounding it along with people inside of it. The next person I see, I stop them. It's a girl and it seems she's sober for the most part. "Have you seen Lukas?"

She smiles. "Are you trying to hop on that train too?"

"What?"

"You're talking about Lukas Oliver, right?"

I nod.

"Good luck with that. He doesn't give anyone the time of day." She flips her hand to wave it off. "He's near the guest house."

"Thanks," I mutter.

Once the girl continues her trek inside, I walk towards the pool and around until I can see the guest house. There is a group of people next to it. The closer I get, there's a smell that wafts my senses. It's one I know from all the parties, but an activity I had no desire to partake in.

It's Lukas that has a joint pinched between his fingers, dragging out a hit before he passes it over to Kyle. He blows out a cloud of smoke while it's Kyle's turn and then he passes it to a guy next to him who I've never seen before.

At first, I think about calling his name, but squish that idea.

The moment I turn to walk away, I hear, "Katherine?"