Chapter 3: I Like To Explore, Kat.

Song: Loverboy by You Me at Six

"This is your night with arms wide open.
I'm the option you shouldn't have chosen.
Scared of the dark, the door's wide open.
This is the night you'll regret in the morning."

☼ ☽ ☼

I park the car across the street that's already lined with them. From here, I can hear light music and laughter mixed in with it. Nina's out of the car first, not saying a word as she closes the door. She runs across the empty street and disappears in the mass of people.

Finally, I get out of the car and make my way across the street to the bonfire too. A summer breeze brushes my thighs and exposed shoulder from where my sweater dips, sending a shiver down my spine. If Lukas is here, he's going to be the only person I know. Well, and Kyle, but he won't remember me. Or at least I hope he doesn't, because that will mean he remembers the punch in the face. Maybe that wouldn't be so bad.

My feet touch the sand and I walk the small path down to the main part of the beach. I can see the fire raging and people surround it, along with other scattered around the beach. I'm not sure where to even start. There's someone passing out drinks to my left, others dancing on my right, and the fire is straight ahead. I don't even spot Nina, though I'm sure she's either looking for Sam or she found him.

I settle for getting a drink first.

The guy standing by the coolers glances at me first and then kind of does a double take. "Hey, haven't seen you before," he says with a boyish smile tugging at his lips. The messy dirty blond hair and strong bone structure makes him adorably attractive.

"Oh, I'm here with a friend," I answer.

His smile widens a tick. "What's your poison?"

"Water would be great."

He bows and grabs it from the cooler before passing it to me. "I'm Jason," he notes. "Are you from around here?"

"Katherine. And no, just here for the summer."

"Welcome to Flagler then."

Another guy appears beside Jason, asking for a can of soda. He glances at me and I notice that it's Kyle. Out of all the people, it had to be Kyle.

He looks at me again with narrowed brows. "Haven't we met?"

I shake my head quickly. "No, sorry."

"Are you sure?" He persists. "Have we had sex?"

"Kyle," Jason asserts. "Lay off the Jack."