CHAPTER 6 PART 1: DAUGHTER OF NOTHING

The Hall of Nobles.

A place of honor for those whose ambition is to see their names glorified next to the king's.

A place of cathedral-like majesty where shimmering waxed floors span in red-carpeted fields and marble pillars soar like towers to a stained-glass domed ceiling. Tapestries hung from every wall boldly presenting the coat of arms of every regal family charged with lordship over the Kingsland provinces.

And at the very heart of the grand hall, ascended a single throne where sat a mortal man of deified respect and authority.

King William Estfeld IV.

Robed in the Royalist colors of red and gold, his primly trimmed short, gray beard and crested hair that lined the edge of an otherwise bald head hidden beneath a shimmering crown, complimented a regal stature matched only by the hard gaze of his sunken, pale blue eyes as they peered over the court of nobles that stood at his flanks in proud rows beneath him.

"The heads of the families and their court. How kind of you all to observe my return."

A young lady of wavy, silver hair and fiery red eyes, clad in formal military dressings marched down the aisle towards her respected uncle while a broad shouldered, red bearded captain hovered close at her side.

"Lady Alianora," the King said. "The prodigal niece graces us with her presence."

All gazes turned to her, but she retained only a vague interest for her audience while the King remained her sole focus. The echoed thump of her boots as she stepped along the red-carpeted floor brought a cautious hush to the once murmering crowd. Even the doorman whose disciplined scrutiny of anyone who arrived unannounced wisely kept his objection of the intruding girl to himself.

The trumpeteer, whose sole task was to announce the arrival of nobility showed no regret in declining to sound her presence. After all, announcement or no, her approach was undeniably felt.

"How fortunate that all of you are here," she declared. "No doubt gossip travels fast. And if you are not aware yet dear uncle, then let me clarify my recent exploits with news-"

"News of my conquests."

The bellowed voice attacked her words and drew her attention to the similarly uniformed man at the entrance.

"Presenting Count Adalair," the doorman said, and the trumpeteer concluded the announcement with a short tune from his horn.

Though clean shaven and removed of every strand of hair from his gleaming head, the deeply carved wrinkles on his face, accented by the beady recesses of his darkly brown eyes, exuded an aura of wisdom and experience that hardly any grandly displayed beard could match. He walked in with a wide gate and heavy-booted heels that reverberated with an intensity that rivaled that of court's previously unannounced visitor.

The stern faces of the stalwart Count and the unyielding Baroness met mid-aisle amidst a both, expectant and bewildered noble audience.

"This assembly was called for me," the Count said in a calm, yet deliberate manner.

Alianora scoffed.

"And yet every house was invited except for mine."

"Every house was indeed called." He scanned the girl up and down with judgemental regard. "Do not delude yourself by persisting in this illusion that you are one of them."

Duly drunk by his own words, he proceeded past her, but quickly found his path blocked by the humble form of her red-bearded captain. His hand rested idly on the hilt of his sword.