twenty one

dan

      sitting on the couch, legs crossed, i check the time. 1:42am. phil walks back into the lounge and sits next to me. he hands me a bowl of ice cream and fills my other hand with his own. "stop it," i chuckle, my face heating up. "you know, i act all confident when i grab your hand, but in reality i'm the nervousest." he says, grabbing my hand tighter and not taking his eyes off the screen. "nervousest? really phil?" i say, pressing my face against his shoulder. "yeah babe," he picks up the remote and turns off the tv. the room is consumed by silence, but it's that comfortable silence.

     "i had no friends until you came into my life." the words flow out of my mouth like a fountain, uncontrollable and genuine. "what?" phil says, grasping my hand tighter than before, rubbing circles on my knuckles. "you're my first best friend. i want you to be my last, i want us to grow old. i want us to have a life together, phil. could you imagine? waking up with you would be amazing. i just want you." i stay in the same spot, head on his shoulder. he looks down at me, taking my head by the chin and us facing each other. the small gap closes as he presses a soft kiss against my chapped lips. he unlocks our lips and picks me up. "i think it's time we go to bed, but yeah. that would be very amazing."

     "okay, can you sleep with me?" i say, my face shoved against his chest. "of course bear." he says, walking down the hall with me in his arms. he pushes the bedroom door open. "you smell good," i giggle and kiss his shirt. "you're so adorable," he places me on the bed, getting in right next to me after. i throw my arms loosely around his neck. his hands grab onto my waist, pulling me closer to him. i bury my head into the crook of his neck, lightly kissing him. "goodnight baby boy," his voice deep as he smiles. i close my eyes and smile.

      "goodnight sunshine."