t w e n t y s i x: ✔

Start from the beginning

I craned my neck closer to the mirror and examined my face.

Luckily, I'd managed to cover all of my red spots, and even applied a little bit of mascara on my eyelashes, which was as far as my makeup for tonight would go.

To be honest, I'd never really cared for makeup.

I guess I was only used to applying something to cover my red spots, and possibly a little bit of mascara or eyeliner - which I only used in very rare occasions. You know, weddings, VIP parties, when aliens were visiting, etc.

Yeah, I was weird like that.

After finishing my little face arrangements, my phone buzzed in my school bag.

I skipped toward it in my fluffy slippers and white robe, dodging a pair of dirty jeans thrown on the floor.

I picked up my phone and quickly pressed on the green button to answer it.

"Hey, Bree, what's up?" Chloe's voice echoed into my ear.

"Nothing much." I aimed for a neutral tone, which came out thicker than I expected. I cleared my throat.  "Nothing much at all, I was just... passing time."

"What's up with your voice?"

"My voice? What about it?

"It sounds weird... Are you okay, Bree?"

"Weird? I don't think so. It sounds rather normal. See?" I spoke, my voice cracking on the last word, which made my throat itch its way into a series of coughing.

"Yeah... what's going on?"

"Oh, alright," I gave in and let out one final cough, "I'm actually preparing for a date."

"A date? Oh my God!" Chloe squealed, making my eardrum explode in pain at her loud voice. "I can't believe you're having an actual date!"

"Thanks, Chloe," I said halfheartedly, "I'm glad to see that me having a date is such an unbelievable fact to you."

"Oh, shut up. I know you're just as surprised as I am. So what did you do? Did you kidnap the guy and force him  to go out with you, or went with the more simple, less complicated way and just paid him?"

I rolled my eyes. "Ha-ha. Thanks for your faith in me, Chloe."

"Come on, you know I'm kidding!" She laughed. "But seriously, who's the lucky guy?"

I cleared my throat once again. "Um, well..."

"Oh my God, don't tell me it's Michael. It's him, isn't he? Aww, you guys are so cute, I swear you would make an excellent couple -"

"Chloe!" I snapped, but my cheeks managed to turn bright red nevertheless. "But yeah... It's him."

"Ha, I knew it!"

I chuckled. "Yeah, well, you're a psychic, what can I say. But I don't know, I'm really nervous about it. I've never been to a date, before. I'm like a date virgin," I said, letting out a chuckle at my own comparison as Chloe did the same.

"That's a good one, actually," Chloe said with amusement into her tone. "But, hey, usually dates are cool," she assured me. "Unless you go out with a jerk. Or a serial killer. Or you're on your period and wearing white pants. Or -"

"Okay," I cut her off. "I see your point. Usually dates are cool, unless yours is an exception. Got that."

"Yeah. But I've seen you guys together. Michael has been really sweet with you lately. And you're not on your period," she pointed out.