Coming Home

Magnus Bane was walking home, navigating the cold New York streets. He was on his way home from Pandemonium, the club he ran. Checking his phone, he realised he was running late, and began to run back to his loft in Brooklyn. He wasn't normally out past 9pm, but this evening, a dispute broke out between two regulars at the club and they had decided to start a fight. Magnus had spent an hour and a half calming things down and helping to clean up. By the time he had finished, it was around 10:45, and he sent a quick text to his Fiancé, just to say he was running late. As he approached the loft, he retrieved his keys from his backpack, a pink, glittery Superdry bag, and let himself into the apartment building.

Once he'd stepped inside the loft, he removed his coat, shoes and bag, and headed straight to the bedroom he shared. A quick glimpse inside, however, let him know that Alec wasn't there. The room was empty, the bed untouched from when it had been made that morning, probably by Alec, and the bathroom light was off. Puzzled, Magnus went back into the living room, and found a lump under a blanket on the couch. Lifting it, he found his darling Alexander, curled in on himself, making the young Lightwood seem so young and childish. Gently, Magnus placed a hand on his lover's arm, and slowly shook him awake. When all he got was a slight groan from Alec, he leaned down to nudge his fiancés lips with his own, and was rewarded by a look into the breathtaking blue pools of Alec's eyes. Realising Magnus was home, Alec sat up immediately, almost knocking his head against Magnus's in his rush.
"Sorry," he grumbled, still half asleep. "Meant to stay awake till you got home. I ordered takeout, but it's probably cold now."
Magnus couldn't help but grin. Involuntarily, he stroked up and down Alec's arm, leaning in for another peck on the lips and then jogged to the kitchen to see if he could salvage their dinner. Alec had ordered pizza, just a simple cheese and ham, and Magnus pressed the tips of his fingers against the crust to see if it was warm. Thankfully, it had remained lukewarm, and the couple enjoyed it on the sofa, legs entangled as they swapped stories about their day.

Alec worked part-time in a restaurant called Taki's, which catered to all types of people. He was telling Magnus about a particularly rude customer, when in the middle of his sentence he let out a loud yawn. Magnus immediately put down the glass of wine he had been drinking, shifted the pizza box off of their lap, and lifted Alec, carrying him to their bedroom. Alec simply smiled, and wrapped his legs around Magnus's waist, tightening his arms around his boyfriend's neck. They landed on their bed, still dressed, and slowly kissed for a few minutes. These nights were Magnus's favourite, where he just got to spend time with his fiancé, listening to his stories and laughing at his jokes, making him blush with how brazen he was. Eventually, Magnus disentangled himself from Alec and strode to the bathroom. He began wiping the makeup from his face, applying some moisturiser to keep his skin soft, and then went back into his bedroom. He found Alec in an old black sweater and black boxers. Magnus shrugged off his clothes, and stole one of Alec's jumpers from the wardrobe to sleep in, and curled up next to Alec under the duvet. They murmured goodnight to each other, and Magnus drifted asleep, thinking of pizza and late night cuddles and Alec.

The next morning, Magnus awoke to an empty bed. Half asleep and confused, he rolled onto his back and willed himself to sit up, tempted to simply go back to sleep. He couldn't work out where his fiancé was until he noticed the fresh waft of coffee flowing from the open door. Magnus smiled, and lay back again, knowing Alec would join him in a moment.

A few minutes later, Alec shuffled into the room holding two mugs. One was plain black with a white arrow stretching around the bottom, and the other was bright pink with stripes of silver glitter around the middle. Alec leaned down to where Magnus was lying on his back, arm over his eyes as he pretended to sleep. Alec simply smirked and leaned down to capture Magnus's lips with his own, feeling Magnus push himself up to stay with Alec's lips. The Lightwood simply pulled away completely, hearing his lover whine, and handed Magnus the pink mug of coffee. Magnus took it, still frustrated, and drew his knees up to his chest, cupping his coffee in both hands. It was adorable. Alec sat next to him on the bed and kissed him on the cheek before taking a sip of his own.
"I have a surprise for you," said Alec.
Magnus perked up at that, and replied, "but I thought you had to work today?"
"Maia took my morning shift so we have the whole day together."
In response Magnus simply placed his half empty mug on the bedside table, did the same with Alec's, and nestled his head in his lover's chest. Alec stroked his hand from the top of Magnus's head to his neck and kissed him on the head. They lay like that for a while, enjoying each other's presence, but Alec eventually moved to get dressed. Magnus did the same before moving to the bathroom to apply his makeup and style his hair. Alec made sure his bag was packed with everything he'd need for Magnus's surprise, and waited.

15 minutes later Magnus emerged. He was wearing black leather pants and blue button-up shirt. The top three buttons were undone, exposing a portion of his chest and the necklace he was wearing. It had been a gift from Alec, consisting of an arrow dotted with glass diamonds. The chain was silver and on the back it was engraved with 'Aku Cinta Kamu'. It was Magnus's favourite possession, and he always wore it when he and Alec spent time together. His eyelids were decorated with light blue glitter and black eyeliner, his hair spiked with blue streaks. Alec walked over to his lover and asked, "what's with all the blue?"
"To match your eyes, darling." Alec blushed and Magnus laughed. "Now where are we going?"
Alec grinned, grabbing Magnus's hand and the backpack he had packed, and dragged Magnus downstairs and into a cab. Magnus had to hang back as Alec gave the driver instructions, and they got in.
Soon, they arrived at a small wooded area in Central Park.
"Why are we here?"
"Because I wanted to surprise you with something. We haven't really done anything romantic in a while and this was something a bit secluded. We can go somewhere else if you'd like."
Magnus couldn't believe his ears. He pulled Alec down to kiss him, and only stopped to whisper, 'I love you' in his ear. Alec's face was flushed bright red as he stuttered, "is, is t-this ok?"
"It's perfect."

Alec spent the next ten minutes setting up the second part of his surprise. He had brought metal poles and cream blankets to set up a fort, placing a colourful blanket on the floor so they weren't lying on the dirt floor. The make-shift tent protected them from the prying eyes of passers-by, making Alec feel slightly more relaxed. As soon as everything was set up, Alec produced a picnic from inside the bag, simple things like sandwiches and a thermos of coffee. They sat inside the fort cross-legged, facing each other. For a while they simply gazed at each other as they ate, wondering in astonishment what they had done to deserve the other. Once they had finished eating, they put the rubbish inside the bag and moved it to the side, before laying next to each other, enjoying the quiet. It wasn't long, however, before Magnus caved and quickly sat up, confusing Alec. Magnus quickly moved over Alec and straddled his waist, leaning down to kiss him. At first it was soft, just a simple joining of mouths, but then Alec deepened the kiss and Magnus groaned, returning the favour by slipping his own tongue into Alec's mouth. His hand reached up to gently stroke along Alec's cheekbones, slowly moving down and around to rest on the back of his neck, scrunching the soft black hair in his fist. Nothing was as perfect as this. Nothing was as incredible as being able to kiss Alexander Lightwood. Nothing would ever compare to having him be the last person he saw at night, or the first face he found in the morning. Everything in Magnus's life centered around Alec, his Alexander, his whole world. Nothing felt as good as holding him close, showing him just how much he loved him with every gentle caress, every little groan, every movement of lips. This was where he was meant to be. Where he wanted to be.

A few hours later, the two lovers set to work packing up the tent and clearing up the leftover food, both with freshly messed hair and rosy cheeks. They began to walk back to the road, and hailed a cab, giving the driver instructions to head home. Magnus rested his head on Alec's shoulder and whispered, "thank you," to him. Alec responded by turning slightly and kissing Magnus's forehead, and then they settled down again, leaning on each other the rest of the way home. Magnus decided this was one of the best days of his life. Alec would agree.