Chapter 5: Bad Memories

Start from the beginning

"Would you guys want to play a round?" He asked slowly, unsure if that is the right thing to do. Emma rubs my back and speaks to me in a soft whisper.

"What do you feel like doing? Wanna try to get your mind off things, just for a little bit?" My throat tightened at the thought of moving. My heart feels heavy and I just can't shake this horrible feeling.

It was like I was re-living the accident all over again and the pain was too much so I just weakly shook my head. "I- just want to be alone for a moment." Andrew hears me and leans in.

"That's fine. How about a quick snack?" I just shake my head and stare down, not really focused on anything. Andrew gets up and as if by an unspoken action, Zach and him leave the room. Emma gets up and rubs her arm.

"I guess I'll... just... be across the hall for a bit. Try not to think about it too much and get some sleep. I love you..." She seemed to wait a moment too long in silence. I got the feeling she wanted me to return the phrase.

"I love you too, Em." Once she shut my door I let my body fall back. I hugged my pillow and closed my eyes thankfully, drifting into a dreamless sleep.

I sit up on my bed, stretching and looking around. Where the heck is Emma? I heard laughter coming from downstairs and decided to go check it out.

As I get down the stairs, I see my mom making breakfast and Emma sitting at the kitchen counter. I heard my mom explaining some cooking recipes to Emma. "Well good morning, honey. How did you sleep?" The question shocked me but I was quick to brush it off before...

I walk over to the fridge and pour me a glass of orange juice. "I slept okay, I guess..." She smiles flipping over a pancake.

"Oh, honey, would you mind waking the boys up and say that breakfast is almost done? And tell your brother he needs to mow the lawn today.

"Yeah, mom. No problem" I set my orange juice down and walk back upstairs. When I knock on Andrew's door, I hear a grunt come from the other side. I knock louder.

"Go away." My brother says in a groggy voice. I knock louder and yell, "MOM SAID TO GET YOUR LAZY BUTT OUT OF BED AND COME DOWNSTAIRS TO EAT! THEN MOW THE LAWN!" Giving another round of rapid knocks on the door, I heard, "Alright! Just stop yelling." I smiled, knowing I had won, before walking downstairs.

My mom and Emma were staring at me, trying to calm down from laughing. "Aria, did you really have to yell?" She asked, shaking her head at me.

"Well, yeah. He wouldn't have gotten up if I hadn't, mom." She just turns back around. I stand next to her, watching her flip the yummy pancakes. I look over at Emma who is reading a text. "What's up, Emma?" She looks up at me. "Oh, it's just from Liam. He wants to come over and go swimming."

"That sounds umm... fun." My brother makes it downstairs just as I'm grabbing my orange juice. As he passed me, my drink was taken right out of my hand. Shocked, I turn and see him stealing a big swig of my drink!

"What the heck! That's mine, you big butt!" I grab the spatula next to me and I throw it at my brother. As if anticipating it, he ducks to the side and it flies past Emma. "Hey, watch it! I didn't do anything!" I start laughing so hard.

"Haha- I am so sorry Em! I didn't mean to do that, forgive me!" I smile at her still laughing. She huffs and glares me down. "Mrs. Nova!" Emma whines, knowing full well that we would get scolded.

"Aria! Andrew! You two cut it out and stop acting like children." Oh no, we are in trouble.

"Yes, Mom..." me and Andrew say in unison. I look at Emma and Zack who are trying to hide their laughter. My mom, quick as a whip, says to them, "And you two, stop egging them on and get the table ready." They both look down. "Yes, Mrs. Nova."