44 || Cheer Nationals Pt. 2

Start from the beginning

"Shouldn't you be telling us that it's okay if we don't win as long as we give it our best shot?" Ashlyn asks.

Coach Brown rolls her eyes. "That's what losers say. Winners keep their eye on the prize."

"That's right," Britney chimes. "Now everyone get a good nights sleep because you'll all be getting up bright and early tomorrow. And look camera ready because ESPN will be arriving."

We're dismissed and the girls and I head up to our room. We get change into our pajamas, brush our teeth, then climb into bed. Nikole flicks off the lights.

"I'm so nervous," I spoke, my stomach already churning.

"Me too," Chanel says. "I really hope we win."

"Let's try and get some sleep," Ivy rolls over next to me. "Night girls."

"Goodnight."

🎀🎀🎀

Britney was not kidding.

She's banging on our room door at five am yelling at us to get up. I groan and roll over covering my head with my pillow.

Only Ivy gets up and she has to drag us all out of bed.

"Everyone get changed into our cheer team jacket and sweats!" Britney yells. "We're all meeting outside the resort!"

"It's way too early for this," I mumble making my way to the bathroom, only half awake.

It takes us a total of thirty minutes to get ready before we're getting on the elevator and making our way down to floor level. There's a number of girls streaming outside. I can already see the large vans and equipment being brought in.

"Welcome to ESPN, the worldwide leader in sports. Thanks for tuning in and I'm Mark Stanberg. Right now we're live from Walt Disney World Resort for the National high school cheerleading competition."

There's cheering and the camera man land around to capture all of us. When it passes by the girls and I we smile and wave before continuing on to where Britney and the rest of the team is standing.

"There you guys are," she snaps. "You're late."

"Actually-"

"Don't wanna here it," Britney cuts Chanel off. "Tardiness will not be tolerated. Now smile and look pretty, the cameras are coming back around."

Nikole rolls her eyes and I resist the urge to do the same. Then we turn on our mega-watt smiles.

Mark Stanberg continues his long spiel. "There are over fifty teams competing today for the top three places and of course the chance for national honor. Right now we're-"

I tune him out and look around. There are so many hopeful, excited faces, everyone wanting to win. There are also faces men's mugging each other, trying to psych out the competition.

I really feel like I'm in a bring it on movie.

Soon it's time to head back inside and start preparing for the competition. We have one more allotted practice hour. Some people go back up to their rooms to wait while others linger down in the lobby area. There are even girls who go for a swim, although I know Britney wouldn't allow us to do that.