When her eyes grew accustomed to the darkness, she was able to make out a figure asleep in a chair next to her bed. On closer inspection she realized it was Rylie who was sprawled out in the rather uncomfortable looking chair. His long legs were stretched out in front of him and crossed at the ankles. His hands were clasped low on his chest and his head was turned to one side and leaning back as he slept.

She quickly came to the conclusion that Rylie must have carried her into the room and placed her on the bed so she could sleep, while he took the chair. It was just more evidence that he was a good guy. She definitely didn't want to wake him, but she had to know what was happening with Dayden. 

She quietly swung her legs off the side of the bed, figuring she would let Rylie sleep while she went to find someone who could update her on Dayden's condition, but before one foot even hit the floor Rylie's eyes opened. Seeing River awake, he quickly sat up and ran a hand through his wayward hair. "You're finally awake," he smiled giving her a head nod.

"Yeah sorry, I don't even remember falling asleep," she admitted, feeling bad that she hadn't stayed awake for Dayden. "How long have I been out?" Before Rylie could answer though, she tossed out another question. "How is Dayden?" She had to know. She wrung her hands together nervously as she waited for Rylie to answer.

Rylie answered both questions with a huge smile. "Well sleepy head, you have been out now for about..." he looked down at his watch and made some mental calculations, "about five hours." He gave her a funny open-eyed, shocked look while he cocked his head to one side. River gasped. He held up his hand to stop her from panicking, "Before you start freaking out, I have good news for you." He smiled again, which River had to admit had an immediate calming effect on her. "Actually I have lots of good news for you." He stood to his feet and placed one hand on her knee and gently squeezed as he told her that Dayden was doing great. River instantly heaved a sigh of relief as fresh tears appeared in her eyes.  

"Why are you crying?" Rylie laughed. 

River laughed too as she explained that they were happy tears. 

"I have more good news," Rylie continued with a grin, barely able to contain his excitement. "They took your dad off the respirator this morning," River's hand flew to her mouth, "And he is awake in his room, sitting up in his bed..." Rylie pointed his finger at River, "And he's waiting to see you."

Again River gasped, "Why didn't you wake me?"

"Ahhh..." Rylie's devilish smile made an appearance, while his blue eyes sparkled. "I was under strict orders not to wake you." 

River bounced up from the bed and wrapped her arms around Rylie, startling him as she hugged him tightly. "Thank you. Thank you Thank you," she repeated over and over and then she place a quick kiss on his cheek.

Rylie's face turned a bright shade of red as he laughed at her antics. He wasn't sure where to place his hands as River hugged him, so he held them out awkwardly inches away from her hips. After a minute he took a step backwards and suggested they go visit Dayden first and then go see her father afterwards. River couldn't hide the bounce in her step as she followed along beside Rylie, taking two steps for every one of his. 

Rylie led her back down the now familiar hallway and then through a double set of doors to another whole area which was bustling with people coming and going. River figured this busier area must be where they kept the emergency cases. She followed Rylie towards a room that was located right across from a makeshift nurses station. There were two nurses or doctors standing behind a big wooden desk discussing different patient files. They stopped their discussion long enough to give Rylie a quick wave. Rylie was obviously well-known and trusted because nothing more was said as he led River into Dayden's room.