We are One

Chapter 13

The next morning found Astrid sitting in a washtub, blushing furiously as she listened to the advice of at least half of Berk's married women. "Now, he will expect you to keep up with the housework, dear, and rise early to make him breakfast, or he won't be happy." Her mother advised, dumping a bucket of warm water over her.

"Don't forget, if he wants to get in bed with you, don't protest. Please him, and he should do the same for you." One of her wedding attendants called. Astrid spluttered, though she couldn't imagine Hiccup forcing her in bed with him. Still, the mental imagery she got at the words 'get in bed with him' were enough to make her cheeks flame.

"Bear him strong, healthy children, and raise them well!" Ruffnut's mother, Thurid, grinned. Astrid wasn't sure if it was possible to blush harder than she was now.

"Remember, sweetie, you must have at least one son, to be the Hooligan Heir as your husband refuses to take the position himself." Astrid frowned at that, it was rare for a man to refuse his birthright in such a manner, though he'd already told her why, before the battle.

After a while, and a lot more advice, Ingrid finally declared her daughter purified and had her climb out of the tub only to be showered by one last bucket of water, cold this time, then was hustled back to her house wrapped in a towel.

Astrid's wedding dress was a simple affair, being just like the dresses Ruffnut had helped her sew for herself in all but colour. She carefully brushed her hair, leaving it to fall to just below her waist when she was done, as this would be the last time she would be allowed to wear it down in public.

She tried to ignore the fact that her normal clothing was already gone, thrown out or given away.

Staring at her reflection, she took a deep breath. "Mom, I'm ready." Ingrid turned from where she was directing the other women on moving Astrid's things to a ship.

"Not yet, dear. I have something for you." She left the room momentarily, coming back with the bridal crown she'd once worn on her own wedding. Gently, she placed it on her daughter's head and smiled. "There. Now you're ready."

Just then, Ruffnut walked in, smirking. "Hey, Astrid, your husband's waiting for you, hurry up!" She meant that Hiccup must have finished his own preparations, and the bride-price been paid already.

"Don't need to, I'm ready." Astrid replied, ready to get this over with. "So, how do I look?" She stood up and twirled around.

Ruffnut looked her over critically, then decided "You look... Clean, like you just had a bath." Astrid rolled her eyes.

"Besides that, Ruff." Ruffnut shook her head impatiently.

"You look fine. Come on, you don't want to miss your own wedding, do you?" Astrid huffed and made her way downstairs, where she was greeted by her older brother, Sven, who was holding the sword she was supposed to give Hiccup during the ceremony.

Her face lit up and she tackled him in a hug. Astrid hadn't really seen her brother since his own marriage about five years ago. She pulled away to ask, "Sven! What are you doing here?"

"I'm to escort you to the ceremony, Astrid, as your older brother and bearer of your husband's new sword." He said formally, grinning. Astrid smiled back at him.

"Well then, we'd best be going, lest we be late," She teased, copying the formality of his speech, making him scowl.

"You know I'd flick you if it wasn't your wedding, dearest sister." He complained, leading her out of the house.

"I know, Sven, that's why I'm teasing you today. You can't do anything about it." Astrid explained cheekily.

His face lit up and he smirked. "Oh, but I can, 'Striddy. You know, you seem awfully excited to marry Hiccup... Would you happen to know why?" Astrid glared at him, but couldn't help her blush at the mention of Hiccup.