25|Dangerous revelations

Start from the beginning

Leon rose from the bed, glancing at the clock to see that it was only  6 AM. He too, had no knowledge of who was at the door, but they both came to the startling realization of who it might be.

       "Do you think it could be Sam or Marianne?" Maria asked as she shuffled to the floor and grabbed one of Leon's overly large T-shirt before putting it on.

      "It couldn't be," Leon said, though doubtful.

They both began to walk outside when a voice had them coming to an abrupt halt. "Maria, honey are you in there?"

Maria's mouth fell, her eyes going wide as recognition of the voice dawned. "It's mom, OMG what is she doing here, how did she find us?" She asked, already rushing out to meet her.

Pulling the door open, relief overcame her body when she saw her mother at the entrance.

      "Mom!" she breathe out with relief. "What happened, what are you doing here?" she asked whilst hugging Julia.

     "God, am I glad you're OK," Julia said using both hands to caress her daughter's face, tears welling in her eyes seeing that her child was in one piece. "Why didn't you pick up any of my calls?" she sniffed.

        "My phone was off and I thought Leon I needed the time to ourselves without the distraction. I should've called though, after everything that has happened. I'm sorry," she explained, suddenly feeling guilty to have caused her mother to worry.

Julia smiled at them both. "Thank you for taking care of her," she nodded approvingly, once again meeting her daughter's gaze.

      "Did you drive all the way here to see if I'm O–" Maria began to ask before she saw Hannah appear behind Julia.

The betrayal came rushing back, anger and dislike for her ex best friend resurfacing. "What is she doing here?" Maria hissed bitterly.

     Hannah hung her head in shame, unable to speak when guilt was tearing her apart.

     "We can talk inside, why don't you guys come in," Leon said.

_______

     "Hannah has been helping me to find you," Julia answered when they were all inside and seated at the polished wooden table.

     Maria scoffed. "Well you're lucky she didn't lead you to hell instead," she exclaimed, while glancing at an embarrassed Hannah.

      "Maria, I'm sorry–" she began.

     "Oh, save it," she cut in firmly.

Leon came and handed their visitors two mugs of coffee with biscuits, earning smiles and thank you's at the gesture.

       "We wanted to find you before they did," Julia explained as she took a sip of the coffee.

Maria glanced at Leon. "By they you mean Sam and Marianne?"

Julia nodded. "They know you are in California and I have a feeling they are searching the ends of the earth to find you."

Maria gasped, hands trembling as she used her palm to clasp her mouth.

      "That sick bastard is willing to go this far with his psychotic obsession?" Leon snarled bitterly, jaws clenching.

     "Literally. If we were able to find you, he can too. You guys need to get out of here," Julia explained gravely.

      "I will not spend the rest of my life running from that son of a bitch," Maria spat angrily.

      A door slammed, everybody's gaze snapping around, heavy footsteps audible against the wooden floor.