Chapter 45: Free in Death

Começar do início

"What are you looking at princess," Talia laid slumped against the wall. "Are you happy now? You've taken everything from me. There is nothing left in this world for me," she giggled. "I should have given up when they dragged my brother out of this house."

"Talia, are you okay?" I walked closer to her and then that'w when I spotted it. One of her wrists was slit. Blood stained the white tiled floor and her clothing. "Talia!" I grabbed a towel off the rack and tried to put pressure on her wound. She was going in and out of consciousness. "Come on, don't do this." I saw a small knife under her leg. I pushed it away from her body. I slapped her a few times to keep her away."

"Just let me die," she croaked. "There's nothing here for me. I want to die!"

"No, there is something here for you. Heir isn't dead yet."

"He will be," she chuckled and I could smell the strong scent of alcohol on her breath. "Mason?"

"Huh?" I wrapped the towel around her wrist tightly.

"I can't feel anything," she whispered.

"No, no, no, stay with me," I stressed. "Myles!" I screamed.

I got no answer. I needed him to help me. I couldn't do this on my own. "Myles! I shouted loud enough so everyone could hear me."

"What? What's wrong?" he came running into the room. Oh God, " he looked down at Talia's slumped body.

I turned to him, "save her," I cried. Then I turned back around and her eyes were closed. She was pale and blue. I shook her but she didn't move. I shook her harder and I even slapped her again. She wouldn't move. I bent don't and listen for breathing. Nothing. I could hear nothing. I stood up ran into the kitchen and turned on the sink. I cupped some water in my hands, ran back into the pantry and threw it in her face. Still I got nothing. There was no reaction.

"Talia!" I screamed. Myles held unto my waist to keep me from falling to the floor. "Talia wake up!" I sobbed. I knew we weren't friends but I never wanted her to die. It's all my fault. Wherever I go, someone ends up dying. I was a bad omen for even the luckiest person.

"Mason, we have to go. The system is down. "We only have fifteen minutes until the system comes back up. Come on!"

"Myles, make her wake up!" I cried. "Make her wake up! We can take her with us."

"We can't, she's dead!"

"No! You're lying. She's not dead, " I struggled to get free from his grip. "She's not dead! Wake her up!"

"I'm so sorry," he whispered into the crook of my neck. In two swift movements, I was over his shoulder and he was running in the opposite direction. I flailed my arms and legs, begging Myles to go back for her. He didn't acknowledge me, he just kept running. Once we were outside the house, Myles kept going until we were safely in the woods.

"Alright, Alright!" he said to me to keep me from struggling. "I'm going to put you down."

Once my feet touched the ground, I just stood there looking back in the direction of the house. I never wanted to go back there. I knew Talia was dead. Was it stupid to think I could still save her? Tears stung my eyes and I let them fall. For the first time I truly felt like everything was lost. Death would follow me wherever I went.

"We only have ten minutes left," Myles stressed. "We need to shift and get to the fence."

"Fine," I wiped the tears from my face and shifted. I decided to let my wolf take over. As my bones cracked and reset themselves, I thought about all the lives lost in my foolish cause. Not just the the ones who have died, but the ones who had suffered. I thought about Jillian, Caroline, Angela, Sammy, Talia, and even Heir.

"Mason!" Myles snapped me out of my trance. "Run!"

I ran. I ran so fast and thought about nothing but my parents. I told myself that if I could get to them, then nothing else mattered. By the time we got to the gate I was out of breath. I shifted back and Myles followed suit.

I stared at the razor sharp fence and internally cringed. This was going to be painful. "Use the gloves I gave you."

"They're not going to help much. That fence is going to cut through the gloves and through my hands." I replied skeptically.

"The fence is too sharp. The gloves will only help a little like you said, but it will help. Once we get over the fence, we won't have to worry about it anymore."

"Fine," I said not wanting to argue.

"This time you're going first," he said.

"Why me?"

"I want to see that you make it to the other side. You have to go first. I'm not going to watch you get hurt like that again," he reached out a hand and caressed one side of my face. "I love you and I would give my life for you."

I didn't know how to respond to that so I gave him a slight smile then turned to face the fence. I placed a hand on the razor and it had already tore through a layer of the gloves. I push the nagging feeling in the back of my mind and continued to climb. I was barely halfway up when the razor cut completely through the gloves and connected with my skin. The stinging of the blade slicing through my flesh had me stalled on the fence.

"Mason keep going."

"My hands are hurting really badly," I complained. The razors are cutting through the gloves.

"Keep pushing, hurry!" he ordered. "Don't think bout the pain."

"I'm trying!" I shouted. "Stop pushing me. It wont make me get over any faster." Every time I slipped my hand through one of the openings I could feel it piercing through my skin. They already felt numb and sore. I was straining to keep from crying. The pain was nothing that I've ever felt before. I thought some of them would just come off once I got to the top.

"Ah!" I could hear Myles shout below. He was right behind me climbing. "Keep going." he looked up at me and smiled.

I did as he said until I got to the top. By now I had left a trail of blood on the fence. I was starting to feel dizzy from the blood lost so I quickly swung my leg over the top, braced my self, then dropped to the ground on the other side. I landed on my side and the impact knocked the wind out of me, but I was alive nonetheless.

My fingers were stinging, but I was afraid to take off the gloves. A few minutes later and Myles was dropping to the ground. He landed on his feet and one of his hands. "Damn that hurt!"

"Stop complaining you baby," I laughed at him. I had never felt so good than at this time. Everything would be different from now. I survived. More importantly, we survived.

"What's so funny?" he looked up at me like I was crazy.

"I'm so happy," I said. "Don't you feel the same?"

"Why should we be happy?" Myles asked.

"Because we're free."