Butter 'n' Scotch

Running down my throat, the liquid was bitter. Its sharp tang stung my throat and I almost spit it out again.

"Gah!" my voice was unusually high pitched and I glanced around embarrassed but no one had noticed. The room was dim, smelled strongly of alcohol and a mass of sweaty bodies were pushing their way through. Why was I in this 'den' in the first place?

Vir chuckled, "That is what curiosity does to the cat."

"I just wanted to know what it tastes like..." I looked up at him, flushed with embarrassment.

"Sure, now you  know!" He shrugged and laughed again.

"How can you drink something like that?"

"It is a process Kathy, At first you have to tell yourself that you like it and eventually you start enjoying it. The feeling of happiness... no thoughts.. like a flightless bird...", the drink was already taking its effect given he was one philosophical drunk.

"Sure", I gave him a sour look and looked around, " this party is boring."

"What did you expect? Blue fantasy?" Another chuckle, " as much as I am willing to let you experiment, drugs isn't an item on my to-do list".

" That is not what I mean."

Soon the music started, metal and rock, crazy blue lights lighting up the horizon. Vir's unreasonable laughter was inaudible and I found myself sitting there vacantly, thinking of a different evening. The feel of cool sand under my toe, my cotton dress fluttering in the air, the soft call of a voice, his voice and the lazy note of a guitar drifting in the air. It was just a figment of my imagination but the more I thought about it, the less I desired to be here on a seat listening to some international DJ.

I glanced at Vir but his gaze was already waning, fixed with a vacant expression on someone behind me. I turned around. There stood Hiya, alone. Hair thrown loose and hands in the air, moving to the rhythm of the music. She was so unlike the goodie-two-shoes president we always saw.

"You should go to her." I found myself saying.

"What?" His gaze snapped back to me instantly.

"Hiya, go to her." And then i was pulling him out of the chair and pushing him towards her.

"What about you? I don't want you to be alone." He said but his gaze was fixed on her.

"It's okay. I am leaving anyways." Within seconds I was up and gone.

I did turn around once. Vir stood next to Hiya, his hands nervously messing his hair as he tried to talk to her. I felt a cynical smile creep up as I traversed the beach. Why was there a twitch in my heart, a feeling mixed with a bit of sadness... but it was nothing intense, so who cares

The beach was,thankfully, silent. All the party goers had decided to concentrate in the concert while the vast expanse of beach was left to the vacant murmur of the rushing waters. The cool sand under my feet, my batman PJs which definitely did not flutter in the night breeze... and a soft voice... His voice .. wait, what?

"It was so nice to be here sister." He was saying.  His back was towards me but I could see his broad shoulders, the raven hair which were now almost reaching his shoulder and a leather jacket clading his lean form. Yes, it was definitely him.

"You can come back any time you want,child. It has been so long since we last saw you. We all miss you, I miss you." A lady standing infront of him was saying. She was short, stout, her hair was covered in a white cloth and around her neck was a cross. She was a nun.