Chapter 2 - The Fool Across the Stars

A thick fog had spread throughout the city since morning and there was that harsh, smoky scent in the air. It took me about an hour to get there on foot, but I found myself in Iulius Park at nine with a score of questions.

It was empty and silent, no wind to rattle the branches, nor any people wandering about. Usually there'd be at least a couple of people around, even if just passing through.

I started walking around to find Helen and kept off the wooden pathway at the edge of the lake for fear of slipping in. The air was wet and cold enough.

Finding her wouldn't be easy. I drifted through the empty park, doing my best to spot Helen in the fog. She hadn't given me a specific location for our meeting. It wouldn't have normally been a problem, the park was fairly small, but the fog was far too dense. Maybe she'd be under a lamppost at least.

That note had been on my mind the whole day, but it was far too short and I knew far too little about Helen to be able to piece anything together. Wasn't even sure I should meet her, but there was something about the whole thing that felt off. She was scared.

Sorcerers aside, something was happening to her, that much was obvious. While I did complain to Roland about the girls asking for ghostbusting services, I had done my best to help them. Whatever Helen had gotten herself into, there might have been a way for me to help.

I noticed someone underneath a lamppost and rushed to them, but I realized something was wrong. The air's smell changed to hazelnut and I knew exactly who it was—precisely the last person I felt like dealing with.

This time, Taire's auburn hair was caught back and she wore a black swimsuit. Her hands were raised and her upper body swayed in the absent wind, somehow making rustling noises, in defiance of logic. Was she pretending to be a tree?

"My Voice," she said, turning her blindfolded face toward me, "I'm glad to find you here."

Yeah, like you didn't know exactly where I was.

"Likewise, my Goddess," I said with a slight bow. It was incredibly annoying how she kept swaying even when talking to me.

"I would like you to do something for me," she said and stopped her movements to face me, though her hands were still raised, as if praising a forgotten sun. "If you don't, I'll break your arm."

I groaned. Exactly what I needed right now. I couldn't go on any of Taire's stupid errands, I was already running late because I couldn't find Helen.

A groan shook my throat before I could stop myself. There's only so much crazy I can deal with in a single day and Helen might actually need my help. Screw Taire and her stupid errands.

"Give me a break, I have to meet someone, I can't—"

Taire didn't let me finish. She grabbed my injured right arm in a steel grip and started twisting it. I fell to my knees in an instant and tried pulling my arm away but she was insanely strong. The pain of feeling my arm twist further and further from its natural position made me yelp.

"No, no, not that kind of break, dammit," I said, almost out of breath from the pain, "I'll do it, I'm sorry, I'll do it."

She released me and I stayed there like that, on my knees, rubbing my aching arm. Loan sharks shaking me for money were kinder than her. Could I switch to a different God, please? I don't particularly like how this one makes me bow before her.

"Very well, punk, your task is to avoid dying at all costs. If you don't, I'll—" she said and paused for a moment. You'll do what, exactly?

"Either way, fulfill your task," Taire said, and with that the hazelnut scent was replaced by the smell of the fog. I didn't need to look up to know she was gone. Of all the stupid requests she'd had for me, that one must have been the stupidest. The most ominous as well, especially given why I'd come to the park to begin with.