Fourteen

I sat in the room I was staying in and just looked at the ceiling. I was trying to remember something, any kind of memory, but really all I had was parts of my eleventh birthday. I remembered my brother giving me my ring. I remembered my mom and dad singing me happy birthday as my mom carried my cake to me before I blew out the candles with my brother. I remember my dad helping put my coat on and kissing my forehead before we left the house that night. That's all I've got.

There was a knock on my door, and when I looked up, Elton was standing there.

"Hey," I said quietly as I sat up.

"Hey, I brought you some food," Elton said as he sat down on the end of the bed.

He placed the pizza box down and opened it. We both took a slice and ate. I still wasn't really hungry, but it's better to eat than drive myself crazy trying to remember things.

"How are you doing Vee? I know that it can be stressful to go through a big change, and you've been through a lot of changes in the last two days," Elton said to me as he ate.

"I'm okay. Since you guys walked into that bowling alley, my whole world has changed and nothing is the same as it was, but I wouldn't take back my old life."

Elton smiled at my answer and grabbed his phone.

"Good, I'm glad. Is there anything you wish you could change about your life right now?"

"Well, there's things that I wish I could change but I know that I can't," I answered, "but because I can't change some of the things I want to, I choose to only think about the things I can change."

"You have such an interesting mind Vee. It makes me wonder what you're capable of," Elton admitted as he grabbed another piece of pizza.

"You seem to think so highly of me Elton. Has it ever occurred to you that maybe I'm not this special person who can do anything?"

"Vee, I don't buy that. You are special and not just to me. You are an amazing photographer and you are a beautiful singer," Elton said as I glanced down at my ring.

"I am not a singer," I protested.

Elton didn't say anything. He just starting playing something on his phone. I knew it was me playing 'Sign of the Times' earlier.

"Dammit Corey." I muttered to myself.

"You don't call that a singer? That is some insane talent. When I first heard you sing, and when I heard this, my jaw dropped. You have amazing voice Vee, and I'm not saying that you should ditch your camera and get a career in music. I just think you should embrace your talent," Elton said as he stopped the recording.

"I will make you a deal Elton, if you and Corey and everyone else will leave it alone, I will sing around you guys but that is it," I said giving in so he'd leave it alone, "because I never sing if someone can hear me."

"I will except that deal. So, can I like request songs and you can be my personal iTunes library?"

I laughed at Elton's question before he laughed with me.

I ate a second slice of pizza and Elton finished his third before grabbing another. We continued talking about random things for almost three hours after we finished eating.

"It's getting kind of late," Elton said as he stood up.

"Yeah, oh I have to ask you something Elton. Sometime before the semester starts would you be okay with driving back to Utah? I have to get my car."

"Yeah, no problem. We can even go tomorrow if you like," Elton said with a smile.

"We don't need to go tomorrow, I just need to pick up my car before the semester starts," I laughed.

Elton nodded before saying goodnight and leaving the room with the pizza box in his hands.

I went into the bathroom and washed my face and brushed my teeth. I got ready to go to sleep and got into bed. I plugged my phone into its charger and placed my phone on the nightstand. I looked at the clock to see what time it was, and saw 11:35 on the top of the screen. I settled under the covers and fell asleep.