"I'll try my best," Amara grinned.

     Luke shook hands with Percy. He then patted Grover's head between his horns. He gave a goodbye hug to Annabeth, who looked like she might pass out, and moved on to Amara, giving her a tight hug as well, whispering to stay safe and don't take food from strangers.

     After Luke left, Percy turned to Annabeth. "You're hyperventilating."

     "Am not," she argued back.

     "You kinda are," Amara commented. "Do you want me to get a paper bag for you?"

     Annabeth glared at her.

     "You let him capture the flag instead of you, didn't you?"

     "Oh... why do I want to go anywhere with you, Percy?"

     Annabeth stomped down the hill to a white SUV that waited on the shoulder of the road. Argus followed her to the car.

     Percy picked up the shoes and looked at Chiron. "I won't be able to use these, will I?"

     He shook his head. "Luke meant well, Percy. But taking to the air... that would not be wise for you."

     Percy nodded his head in disappointment. He looked to Amara. Since she was the daughter of the sky god, the flying shoes would do well for her.

     But he stopped himself.

     Percy looked to Grover, then back to Amara, and suddenly, she understood.

     Amara could see what was going on in his head, she could see the emotions on his face. He wanted to give the shoes to Amara, it made more sense. But Grover, his best friend, didn't have a magic item and it wasn't fair.

     Amara nodded her head to Grover, a signal saying to give the shoes to the satyr.

     "Hey, Grover. You want a magic item?"

     His eyes lit up. "Me?"

     After lacing the shoes over Grover's fake feet, he lifted off the ground, but then fell over sideways so his backpack dragged through the grass. The winged shoes kept bucking up and down like tiny broncos.

     "Practice," Chiron called after him. "You just need practice!"

     Grover went flying sideways down the hill towards the van, screaming the whole way.

     Amara couldn't help but chuckle a little.

     Amara began to follow but Chiron held her back.

     "I should have trained you better, Percy," he said. "If only I had more time. Hercules, Jason-they all got more training."

     "That's okay, I just wish--" Percy began but stopped himself. Amara looked at him confused. What had he wanted to say?

     "What am I thinking?" Chiron suddenly cried. "I can't let you get away without this."

     He pulled a pen from his coat pocket and handed it to Percy. At first glance, it looked like an ordinary, cheap ballpoint pen. But Amara knew it was much more than that. She had enough training to know the power of the Mist. Plus, she knew Chiron well enough to know he wouldn't give Percy just an ordinary pen as a weapon.

     "Gee," Percy said. "Thanks."

     "Percy, that's a gift from your father. I've kept it for years, not knowing you were who I was waiting for. But the prophecy is clear to me now. You are the one."

     Realization began to wash over his face. He uncapped the pen and in seconds, it turned into a gleaming celestial bronze sword.

     "The sword has a long and tragic history that we need not go into," Chiron said. "Its name is Anaklusmos."

     "Riptide," Percy translated.

     As Chiron began to explain the workings of the sword to Percy, Amara began thinking. Why was she held back? Chiron hadn't said a word to her the whole time. What was the point of her staying back to watch Percy get a pen/sword that was from his father?

     Maybe he would change his mind and forbid Amara from going on the quest. She knew how reluctant he was on the idea of her going, and she grew pale at the idea.

     She thought about breaking off into a sprint towards the van, saying she heard Annabeth calling her, before Chiron could prohibit her from going.

     But before she could dash down the hill, Chiron called her name.

     "Amara," Chiron called, snapping her back to reality.

     Oh no, she thought. Here it comes.

     "I'm assuming you got the gift from your father."

     Amara had to reprocess what she had heard. That didn't sound like, You can't go on this quest.

     When she stood motionless with no response, she realized she probably looked like a fool and thought it best to actually formulate a reply.

     "Uh, y-yes sir," she said as she looked down at her cuff. She noticed how it was the same color as the celestial bronze sword that it turned into.

     "You must know that this sword belonged to your father, he was very specific in the details of the forging of this sword. Now, alterations have been made for it to suit you better, such as it turning into a cuff," explained Chiron. "It is now yours. Take special care of it."

     Amara nodded.

     "The gods do listen, Amara. Even if it does not always seem like they do."

Ψ

this is the end of chapter 3!!!!

the quest officially starts next chapter! which means more Amarcy!!!!!

i think the chapters will be around this length, 1200-1500 words, maybe longer but definitely nothing shorter than this.

comment on what you like, comment on what you dislike.

Thanks for reading!