•fourteen•

Enoch's POV
××××××××××××

I couldn't get over what happened. Y/N kissed my cheek. Was it her way of showing affection? In a romantic way? Or like a friendly thank you? I didn't know—but I needed to.

It was a few days after Y/N kissed me, and she hadn't come out her bedroom since then. Even though I had forgiven her, she still felt like she needed to hide from me. I guess she wanted everyone to be safe, she really was one of the kindest people I've met, no matter how bad I treated her.

The sunlight seeped through my curtains and I groaned, shifting to the other side of the bed when someone knocks on the door. I ignore whoever it was, closing my eyes shut.

"Breakfast is in 30 minutes," Emma calls and I hear her heavy led boots stomping back downstairs. I stood up and changed out of my pajamas when an idea sparked into my head.

Maybe Y/N could join us. Only this once.

I went out the door and headed to hers, knocking on the door gently.

"Who is it?" I hear Y/N's tired voice followed by a quiet yawn. I couldn't help but melt a little at the sound. Was I growing feelings for her?

"I-It's Enoch," I answered, stuttering a little.

Y/N opened the door, revealing her tired figure. Her eyes lit up upon seeing me as she plastered a smile. "Morning. What're you doing out? It's really early."

"Breakfast is in 10 minutes, Y/N." I chuckled an her smile fades away to be replaced by a frown. "What's wrong?"

"You know I don't go out anymore, right?" Y/N glares at me, her voice firm.

"I thought maybe you could join us—"

"Screw that."

"What?"

She sighed, realizing that I couldn't understand her. She shakes her head slightly before replying. "Only for today." Y/N closes her door, leaving me outside alone.

~

I sat at the foot of the table, eyeing the empty seat next to me. I had told Miss Peregrine that Y/N would be joining us so she ordered everyone to wait for her.

Y/N enters the room, still a bit sleepy as she rubbed her eyes. Everyone's face lit up when they saw her—it was almost like they hadn't seen her for years. Miss Peregrine approaches her with a huge grin.

"We're all happy that you decided to join us for breakfast today," Miss P says. "What gave you a change of mind?" Y/N looked at me and I felt myself blush a bit. She smiled, facing to the headmistress.

"Enoch approached me this morning." Y/N said as I blush deeply. Immediately everyone's heads turn to me with smirks.

"Enoch misses Y/N." Millard giggles.

"Someone fancies you," Horace adds, looking at Y/N then wiggling his eyebrows at me.

I couldn't explain the state that I was in—blushing amd extremely embarrassed as I sunk down into my chair with a scowl. Maybe I did like Y/N. "I do not." I scoffed. "Cool story, bro." Jake replied and I look at him confusingly. He was supposed to leave a week after they arrived, but being the stubborn person that he was, he managed to convince his parents that he would stay here for a while.

Y/N just laughed in response to his comment, taking the empty seat next to me.

"That's enough chatter, everyone can start eating."

~

I wanted to talk to Y/N. Privately. So after breakfast when she was gathering up the plates, I approached her.

"Y/N?" I say and she looks at me, gazing into my eyes.

"Yeah?" Y/N replies with a bit of confusion in her voice. "I wanted to talk with you, in private."

"I'll put these in the sink and I'll be back." She smiles, carrying the stack of porcelain and walking towards the kitchen where she put the plates in the sink gently.

"Where do you want to talk?"

"Just follow me," I told her as we started walking out the house when Miss Peregrine stops us. "Where do you think you are going Mr O'Connor? I think Y/N deserves to rest for bit,"

"We were going out for a walk." I replied sternly. Y/N places her hand on my shoulder and a swarm of butterflies erupt in my stomach. "I'm okay, Miss P. A walk might help."

"Alright, then. Take care. Be back before lunch."

"We can assure you that, right Enoch?" Y/N looks up at me with a smile. My heart fluttered at the sight, getting lost in her gaze. She was so beautiful.

"Uh, of course."

After the bird dismissed us, I grabbed Y/N's hand so I could lead her the way better but she flinched a little causing me to pull away.

"No, no, it's okay. I was just a little startled." She assured me with a grin. "You sure?" She nodded and I gently take her hand in mine. I saw her blush but I could've been wrong. We walked to the field overlooking the beach and we settled on the grass. Y/N's face was full of excitement as she took the view in.

She suddenly laughed which made me look at her in confusion. "Why're you laughing?"

"Nothing, it's just that seeing the beach reminds me of the day when I arrived here, when me and Jake pulled our luggages through the sand. You should've seen how ridiculous it looked." Y/N giggles. That was so adorable.

Silence dawns upon us as we stared into each other's eyes. I found so much wonder in them.

"I-I wanted to ask you something, Y/N." I say, breaking the silence.

"What is it?"

"When you kissed me, what did it mean to you?" I ask her and I feel her get nervous. I saw the panic in her eyes.

"Enoch," Y/N laughs, "It was a friendly kiss. Like a thank you. Why are you making it seem like we actually kissed?"

My heart sunk at what she told me.

"I don't know." I scoffed and stood up before she could see my tears. "I have to go."

"Enoch! Where are you going?"

• • •

author's note || still not long enough. couldn't bring myself to write more and sorry for any errors, i am very much not okay. didn't get enough rest lmao
thanks for reading anyways :)
love you all, sin-ammon rolls

~ anastasia ✨