The Beginning

Two figures stood in a clearing deep in the forest of Connecticut. The taller one was a boy with shaggy white-blonde hair and green eyes. He held a branch from a tree and threw it into the chilly Connecticut air. The second one, a beautiful girl whose auburn hair was pulled into french braids, turned to look at the branch. Her piercing blue eyes focused on the branch and suddenly it stopped, suspended in midair. The boy, whose name was Cameron, cheered. The girl's name was Lilliana, and as she slowly let the branch to the ground, she beamed. The two siblings had been practicing for hours every day and Lilliana had finally gotten it perfect. Lilliana was gifted in ways no one else was. She had powers. These powers include telekinesis, animal telepathy, and the ability to create ice. No one but Cameron knew about these powers and she planned to keep it this way.

"Lilly! That was amazing!" Cameron exclaimed. He smiled for his younger sister, but inside he dreaded the secret he was hiding from her. It was decided that he and their parents were going to tell Lilly that night.

"Cam, let's keep practicing. I want to perfect my telekinetic," Lilly insisted.

"I think it's time to go home for dinner. Mom and dad will be getting worried soon," he responded and started walking back to their house.

Soon, they were home and sitting with their parents at the dinner table. Lilliana's parents looked at each other, then to Cameron and nodded. Cameron felt a lump form in his throat.

"Lilliana," their mom began, "Cameron, dad, and I have something to tell you."

"Cameron will be going to college. He's going to be leaving home," their dad finished. Suddenly, the room was spinning for Lilly.

"When?" Lilliana choked out.

"Tomorrow. I'm sorry, Lilly. I'm eighteen and need to go to college." Cameron whispered.

She sputtered. Tomorrow? It was so soon, there was hardly any time to say goodbye. She was fourteen, she shouldn't need her big brother around so much. But still, Lilliana felt sick. She pushed away from the table, fixed Cameron with a teary glare, and silently walked up the stairs to her room. Rex, the family dog, bounded up behind her. The house shook with the slam of her bedroom door.