Chapter 56 "Future plans"

Terrence was at the Pony Home with Esther who was playing with other children. She was happy to have so many children to play with. She was also very nice and very generous, she was helping the younger ones and she ordered pizza for everybody, every night. The children were happy. Nanny was also there.

Terry was also sitting in the living room with his two mommies. The children were asleep...

- Are you all right Terry? Asked Miss Pony.

- I'm fine Mommy Pony.

- What about your relationship with Candy? Asked Sister Maria.

- Well, we're back together, said Terry.

- I don't doubt that, said Sister Maria, you've got her little sister...

- Isn't she adorable? Said Terry.

- I don't know if it's just me, but she makes me think of you when you were little...

- Really?

- If I didn't know better, I'd say she's your daughter...

- She's Candy's little sister, she looks like her...

- Yes, said Miss Pony, she looks like both of you...

- I don't think she looks like me, she looks like Candy...

- There's no bigger blind than the one who doesn't want to see, said Sister Maria

- I have a little headache, said Terry standing up to kiss them goodnight, I'm going to go to my room...

Terry left the room without thinking much about what his two mommies had told him. His cell phone rang, it was Candy, who had already called earlier to talk to Esther, this time, it was to wish him good night.

- Good evening sweetheart, said Terry smiling

- You're not asleep yet boo?

- I'm going to sleep now

- Everybody is sleeping?

- No, Mommy Pony and Mommy Maria are not sleeping yet... hey that's funny, Esther calls you "Mummy Candy" like I call Mommy Pony and Mommy Maria... I never noticed that before...

- Looks like she takes after you, said Candy

- What?

- She's doing like you... it's a coincidence, said Candy

- Of course, said Terry who didn't want to think about what his mommies had told him

"It's ridiculous, it's Eleonor Baker's baby..." He said to himself.

- When is your tour going to be done?

- Very soon...

- You'll come to pick up Esther or you want me to bring her to you?

- You can bring her to me; Mum is shooting a movie in Europe...

- She doesn't want to see her daughter much

- She knows Esther is in good hands with me and you...

- Yes but...

- Sapphire eyes, when we're going to be married, I'll be able to shoot movies right?

- We'll find a way...

- You're right, why talk about it now?

- I miss you, said Terry

- I miss you too, Esther and you, I miss you both...

- Until next time Candy, I love you

- I love you Terry...

Terry fell asleep thinking about what Candy had told him; "when we're going to be married..." She was sure they were going to get married... Yes, he wanted to marry her and have a family with her. His friends were all getting married, making future plans, they wanted to get married and have children. He wanted children too, with Candy... Candy too, she did say "when we're going to be married" not "if we get married one day..." He smiled and closed his eyes. He was going to marry Candy one day and they were going to have lots of children...

The next morning, Terry woke up and he found the children up and ready. He got ready too and after breakfast, he went to the infirmary to see the children who were sick. The news also arrived in the village, where everybody who couldn't afford to go to the doctor, went to the Pony Home to get free healthcare, because Terry had an understanding with the local pharmacy to give all the necessary medicine he had prescribed and that he was going to pay it all.

- That's very generous of you, m y dear Terry, said Sister Maria, when the consultations were over

They were sitting outside and were looking at the children playing. Miss Pony was also there.

- I can't believe that a big country like the United States still doesn't have medical coverage for everybody...

- And they are fighting those who want to offer that to everybody, said Miss Pony

- We need more people like you, my dear Terry, said Sister Maria, you're still a good Christian?

- Mommy Maria

- I know you had fun with girls, you were still young. But now, I suppose you've grown... and you're thinking about getting married and have your own family...

- Of course...

Esther, who was playing with the children, approached Terry to say.

- Terry? Can I call Mummy Candy?

- Of course sweetie, said Terry taking his cellphone out of his pocket

The little one took the phone and she pressed the button she needed

- Hello? Mummy Candy?

And she walked away to speak with Candy. Sister Maria looked at Terry.

- What? Asked Terry

- "Mummy Candy"?

- That's how she calls her...

- Hum hum, said Sister Maria

- That reminds me of another little boy...

- What? Me? Said Terry

- You call me "Mommy Maria"

- And me "Mommy Pony"

- That's because I didn't have any mommy..., you're my two mommies

- But you know that not a single child followed your lead? Said Sister Maria

- So what?

- But Esther..., continue Miss Pony

- Didn't know I was calling you like that

- And yet, she did the same thing, said Sister Maria

- I don't see the connection, said Terry

- Esther imitated you, said Miss Pony

- She didn't know, said Terry

- Exactly, said Sister Maria, it came to her naturally...

Terry looked at his two mommies. They were insinuating again that Esther was his daughter, because she did it naturally, what he had done naturally? That was absurd! She was Eleonor Baker's daughter!!!

Esther brought back the cellphone to him.

- Mummy Candy wants to talk to you, Terry...

- Thank you sweetie, said Terry taking the phone, hello Freckles?

He stood up to go talk a little apart, on the Pony Hill.

- How are you? You seem a little lost

- No, I'm fine, I was talking to my two mommies

- I'll have to meet your two mummies one day

- You didn't see Billie who was on a business trip

- After the tour, we're going to do "Romeo and Juliet?"...if I get the part of Juliet

- "If"? "When" you're going to get the part of Juliet...

- Thank you... I'm going to send you an invitation for the premiere

- For everybody?

- Yes, for everybody...

- You're going to invite you prince Eurotrash?

- As a formality

- Hathaway is going to be happy, and everybody is going to come to see the princess... and Princess Juliet...

- Ok, Sapphire eyes, I'll talk to you later. I love you.

- I love you, said Terry

He went to lean on the father tree. He went back near his mommies.

- So Terry, said Sister Maria, were you a good boy?

- Yes, Mommy Maria

- I'm happy, because you know that works without faith is useless, and faith without works is also useless

Terry smiled, he was happy to see they have changed the conversation... Miss Pony and Sister Maria had stopped talking about the resemblance between Terry and Esther.

That night before he went to bed, Terry was outside with Esther who asked him a question.

- You're going to marry Mummy Candy?

- You want me to get married with her?

- Yes, I want to live with both of you

- Why?

- Because I love you...

- I love you too Esther...

- So?

- So, you know, life is complicated, it's not because we want something that we're going to get it...

- I'm going to pray, said the little girl, I'm going to ask God, he's going to listen to me and I'm going to be very good

Terry hugged the little girl. Life had taught him that everything doesn't always happen like we want it to...

The tour was over and Terry took Esther back to her Mummy Candy. They arrived at the apartment where the reunion were moving for little Esther. Candy hugged her hard. She approached Terry and kissed him after putting Esther down. When they stopped, Candy turned to the Nanny and said:

- You want to take few days off, come back in a week, when the auditions for Romeo and Juliet are going to start.

- Fine Princess, said Nanny smiling, it was a pleasure having Dr. Terry for company, I was ecstatic!

- Hey Nanny, be careful! Said Esther, Terry is for my Mummy Candy!

The nanny burst out laughing.

- I know sweetie, I know, don't worry about that...

- Take your things, the driver is going to take you home, said Candy

- Thank you Princess, said the nanny leaving after kissing Esther, goodbye sweetie! Good bye Terry, good bye Princess

- Good bye, said everybody

They stayed alone, all three of them and it seemed perfect for them. They went to bathe Esther, fed her and then they put her to bed.

- What story do you want?

- Joseph's story!

- All right, said Terry

He started to tell Joseph's story and Candy listened attentively. That story taught Esther how to always tell the truth and do good and not bad thing, and when we're good, God always rewards us, the dreams Joseph was having become true, years later.

Candy and Terry went back to the living room.

- I never paid attention to all those details about Joseph's story...

- He feared God

- And he resisted temptation... and he was very patient too. How long did he spend in prison?

- Before he explained the dreams? He was promoted in prison; he was with Pharaoh's prisoners. A few years went by before he explained the dream of the cupbearer and the baker's dream... The cupbearer forgot about it for two years until Pharaoh started having his dreams...

- You've become very...

- I know, after the fiasco at St. Paul, I said to myself that God was punishing me for fornicating... I came back to earth...

- Is that why you weren't doing anything anymore?

- Partly, yes, on the other end, I wanted to do it only with you...

- What if they hadn't caught us?

- I probably would've continued fornicating with you... there's a silver lining anywhere

- You want to marry me before making love to me, right?

They looked at each other. They were on the same page.

- You're a princess...

He kneeled in front of her and he got a little box out of his pocket.

- Princess Candice? Will you marry me?

Candy had tears in her eyes.

- Oh my God Terry!!! Yes! Yes! Yes! I will marry you!!!

He smiled and he opened the little box, took the ring and put in on her finger, then he took her in his arms to kiss her on the lips. He turned with her screaming and laughing with her!!!

- Can we keep this to ourselves? Asked Terry

- We have to tell Esther

- Let's wait after the premiere.

- All right, said Candy smiling, this play will be my last

- What do you mean?

- I want to stop working and stay home to raise our children... with Esther

- You don't have to, you can work...

- I know, but I want to stay home and wait for you every night... I could do a movie once in a while...

- As you wish my queen... I love you!

- And I love you my king! Said Candy taking his lips.

They were happy, everything was fine! They were going to get married and all was best in the best of all worlds...

oOoOoOoOoOo

Terry went back to Chicago where is work was waiting for him. He missed Esther as much as Candy and he couldn't wait for the premiere to arrive so he could marry Candy.

oOoOoOoOoOo

Marlowe Susann was not happy. He had seen the ring on Candy's finger. Candy was his! She wasn't going to get away. He had alerted the press in Chicago hoping Candy would stop seeing her doctor, but she threatened to leave the troupe to be with her doctor. That damn doctor, whom Esther loved so much and Candy had left her with him, preventing him to get close of the little one who only swore by Terry. He had to do something. He tried talking to her... They were on stage, rehearsing.

- Candy, he said

- Yes?

- Is that an engagement ring you got there?

- As a matter of fact, she said smiling, Terry asked me to marry him...

- And you said yes?

- Of course...

- Oh Candy! She said with a weary tone

- What's going on, Marlowe?

He approached her and took her in his arms and kissed her on the lips. Candy was surprise, she didn't react immediately, and then she pushed him away.

- I love you Candy, I love you so much...

- But Marlowe...

- Don't marry him! I'm begging you, marry me!

- What? Marlowe, come on...

- I come from a good family, he's an orphan... you were married to a prince; you can't marry an orphan...

- I didn't know you were so snob! Said Candy coldly.

- On scene we're perfect together, I feel all the love you're feeling for me...

- It's called acting, Marlowe. Terry is the one I love! Ever since our first meeting... You, I love you like a brother Marlowe... Not like I love Terry...

- No, you're confused; I'm the one you love! Si I can't have you, nobody will have you!!! He said leaving the scene.

Candy looked at him go. What the heck was that?

- He's completely nuts! Said Candy still stunned.

Candy felt weird. She had a weird feeling. She all of a sudden wanted to be with Terry. She took her cellphone and she called him.

- Sapphire Eyes?

- Yes, my queen? Are you all right?

- Yes, now that I've heard you, I feel better. I love you...

- I love you my queen...

Candy felt better. She didn't want to leave Terry. She stopped thinking about Marlowe and his weird attitude.