Chapter 33"Be soft with me tonight"

Candy was with her Aunt Chloe who had come. Her father was too busy to show up at the May Festival...

- Where's your father? Asked Chloe.

- I don't know, I didn't invite him, but I'm sure he knows what's going on in school, he gets the newsletter...

- Candy! You're impossible!

- Thanks for coming...

- Your mother would be proud of you...

- You're sure she'll be proud to see how I'm turning out like her despite the fact she left me so I could supposedly get a good education?

- You're a wonderful actress darling, I've been one and I know talent when I see it ...

- Coming from you, I'm not sure how to take it..., said Candy.

- Well, it's honest... and I still have people in the business... I'll let you know when they're looking for people, you never know...

- Aunt Chloe, we're here to have fun..., said Candy come on let's go.

oOoOoOoOoOo

Terry was backstage, looking for Patrick to get to the party. Aside from the play, he hadn't spoken to Candy...

- There you are! Said Patrick you did great!

- Thanks...

- Did you speak to Candy?

- No...

- What? But...

- Let's go Patrick, with the play, the dancing, the signing, aside from the lines, no I didn't get to speak to her!

They both walked to the party and they met their little group.

- Hey guys! Said Jones hugging Terry, you didn't tell me you could act!

- Well I'm full of surprises, am I? Said Terry.

- You were great, Terry, said Ashley smiling.

- Amazing Master Andrew! Said Allyson.

- It was fun..., said Terry, thanks guys.

- Let's go to the party, said Patrick taking Allyson's arm

They walked to the party room, it was full of people. Terry was looking for Candy with his eyes. She was looking for him too... They both walked to each other.

- Hey, he said.

- Hey yourself! She said.

- You want to go for a walk with me?

- Yes.

He took her hand and they walked outside, leaving the party behind. They met Neil who had a big bouquet of red roses.

- Lady Candy , he said, you were magnificent on stage, you're the most talented and the most beautiful actress I've ever seen

Candy looked at him amused.

- Thank you, said Candy.

- Would you dance with me later, when you get tired of Oliver Twist? Continued Neil

- Oliver Twist? Said Candy.

- That orphan boy you hang out with..., said Neil.

- Well "Oliver!" is my favourite movie of all time, said Candy.

- Really?

- In fact I wish I was an orphan, like Oliver...

- Why? Said Neil stunned.

- So my parents wouldn't get on my nerves..., if I were an orphan, like Oliver, I'd do whatever I want... that's kind of fun...

- If you say so..., said Neil annoyed, so that dance?

- I don't think so, I don't like people who disrespect my friends, you can keep your flowers too..., said Candy giving the bouquet back to him

Then she turned to Terry.

- Let's go, Oliver! ♪♪I'll do anything for you, For you dear anything
For you mean everything to me....♪♪

Terry looked at Neil with a mocking smile, he took Candy's hand and left with her. He only talked to Neil if it was absolutely necessary. Ever since he sent Antonia to the fox hunting, and she got killed... he'd rather just ignore him, or he would just strangle him. Neil was fuming.

- ♪♪I know that I'd go anywhere... For your smile, anywhere For your smile, everywhere...I'd see♪♪ Continued Terry

Candy smiled.

- Oliver Twist? She said.

- That was my favourite movie growing up at the orphanage, we all dreamed of having parents and finding our family like Oliver...

- Quite the opposite of what I was dreaming of...

- "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence"

- Well, you're almost as cute as Uncle Mark when he played Oliver.

- "Uncle Mark"? As in "Mark Lester"? You know him?

- Yep! He's not a child anymore, since that movie is 40 years old... I'll introduce you to him one day if you want...

- I'd be honoured, said Terry smiling.

Terry was walking outside with Candy and she made him feel better.

- How have you been? He asked.

- I missed you.

- I missed you too.

- I'm sorry...for being so rude...

- No, you were right... I had to move on... and I want to tell you, I'm with you because of you and only you!

Candy smiled.

- Thanks for telling me... I heard you once in your room calling out her name...

- You came to my room? I thought I felt you ...

- I was riding my horse, and I heard you...having a nightmare.

- You were riding your horse? I remember seeing you out the window, walking with your horse... that's why I was having a nightmare...

- Oh...?

- Antonia died falling from a horse, in front of me...

- Oh my God! I'm sorry...

She had heard the rumours, but hearing it from Terry's mouth just had another impact.

- I don't really like horses since...

- But you came at the hippodrome...

- To watch them race, not to ride them.

- I wanted to take you for a ride...to celebrate.

- I haven't been on a horse since... but ...

- You need to get over your phobia...

- I know...that was my next step after I got rid of the shrine...

- You got rid of the shrine? Oh Terry...

- I want to make you and me work...

They stopped walking and Terry hugged her hard.

- I want to make this work too, said Candy closing her eyes

- ♪♪"You're the one that I want..."♪♪

- ♪♪"You are the one I want...ooh ooh ooh, honey!"♪♪

They burst out laughing. They continued their way, until they got to the stables. Terry unwilling tensed up. Candy felt that.

- Come with me, she said, let me introduce you to Sheila, my mare, she's a purebred Arabic ...

- Sheila? How's Royal King?

- He's fine, still winning...

- Good for him, said Terry

- He's a good investment, said Candy smiling.

They got in front of Sheila who was sitting and she stood up when she saw her mistress and walked to her. Candy pet her head.

- Hey beautiful, said Candy, this is Terry...

Terry looked at Sheila. She was white like the horse Antonia was riding... He tensed up again.

- Terry, calm down, said Candy.

- It's a white horse, like...

- Don't think about that, said Candy, it's not the same horse...

- I know it's not, that one stepped in a trap and she was killed for hurting her leg and for killing Antonia...

- Sheila is my horse, she's really sweet...

- I'm... sure she is...

Candy let Sheila out, she put the saddle on.

- Go ahead, said Candy.

- I don't know if I should, said Terry nervous.

- I know it's scary, but she is not the horse that killed Antonia...there's not going to be any trap here... and I'm going to be here...

Terry looked at her. Since he felt better with her he said:

- I know I'm going to look like a baby here, but I will feel better if you ride with me...

Candy looked at him and smiles.

- Terry, you're trying to get over something horrible... the last time you were on a horse, a girl died, not any girl the girl you loved

- One of the sweetest girl that's ever been...

Candy felt jealous at that last declaration... but it was not the time for a scene.

- Go ahead Terry, I'll ride with you, it's a good thing I still have the bad Sandy leather trousers...

After hesitating for a while, Terry was finally on the horse, shaking a little, his heart was racing. Candy climbed in front of him. She could fell how tense he was, he was shaking. Candy was on one hand glad that Terry wanted to fight this, on the other hand, jealous that another girl, a dead girl none the less was putting Terry in that frightening state... She was not going to give up on him... She was going slow, and she urge her to go faster. Terry was sitting behind her hold her waist, was stiff as a stick.

- Relax Terry, she said, nothing is going to happen.

But Terry was not saying anything, he was reliving that horrible scene, over and over, one minute he was smiling to her, the next minute she was dead and he was crying... The pain was unbearable, he couldn't do it, he had to get off...

- Stop Candy, stop the horse, I want off...

- No! You need to do this!

- Stop! Candy! Please stop!

- Terry, you have to face what happened! I'm not stopping until you're better!

- Oh my God! NO!!!!!

- Terry, I'm here with you, don't be afraid... Terry...

Having Candy with him, hearing her voice... She was there

"I think I got an explanation for your story... you see... AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!" Said Antonia's voice

The horse cry was heard at the same time...

"ANTONIA NO OH DEAR GOD NO!!!"

Terry closed his eyes. The memories, so painful, the bad feeling he had that day, everything came back to him hurting him... He heard a voice raise above all that;

- Terry...

It was Candy's voice. So full of hope, so comforting...

- Terry, it's going to be fine... I'm here with you, Terry, listen to me... you can do this, Sheila is nice and soft, there are no traps...Terry, take control of Sheila... make her go slower like you want, come on...

Terry hesitated again and he took control of Sheila, they were going fast, they continued for a while, then they slowed down a little, they turned around and went back to the stables. They stood still on the horse for a while.

They got off the horse. Candy put Sheila back in the stables. Then they sat on the hay.

- I hope I wasn't too hard, said Candy, you had to exorcises the ghosts from your past, your horse phobia...I'm glad it happened. You can ride Sheila whenever you want...

Terry approached her and took her in his arms and closed his eyes.

- Thank you for helping me..., he said.

- You're very welcome...

- Even if I hated you when you refused to stop the horse...

- That's a risk I was willing to take...you hating me... what else is new?

- I've never hated you Candy... I was just... pushing you away in the beginning...Antonia and I wanted to get married, I would've married her if I had known she didn't have that long to live...If I wasn't sure of anything, I was sure of that...I wanted her to be my wife and the mother of my children. We loved each other... Her dying on me, made me so upset, so angry at the world. I was an orphan, abandoned by my parents; I didn't have a normal life, living in an orphanage, though I was very happy with my two moms... I didn't really cared about being adopted, until I met Antonia... for the first time I wanted things to work, the adoption, our future, I had a purpose...it was all taken away by that accident... Meeting you on that boat, you reminded me of her from afar... maybe it was her way of leading me to you... I felt alive again, for the first time since the accident, but I thought I didn't deserve to be happy since she was gone... our paths kept crossing, the first time I kissed you at the hippodrome, I didn't sleep that night... Kissing you was like nothing I've experienced before, and I've kissed girls, I can tell you that... I couldn't stop thinking about you... and I was avoiding you like the plague

- I noticed...

- I... didn't want to get hurt again, but being with you, even when we argued, made me happy... so, I said to myself, it was no use to fighting this...but... I was still talking to Antonia, looking at her pictures, thinking about her... I had to let go and I did and the horse thingy was the last thing... Thanks for being here...

He turned towards her and kissed her for a while.

- Let's go get ready for the party, said Candy, or the others are going to think we're getting it on...but I have to go change for the dance ...

- Me too...

They both went to their rooms and met 20 minutes later to go to the dance. Terry was wearing a suit and Candy had a red dress on, sleeveless and tight on her body. Her hair was still down. The curls and the hairspray from the play were still there.

- You look beautiful, said Terry.

- You too, she said smiling, let's go!

Candy looked for Chloe who was talking to some friends. She walked to her, holding Terry by the hand.

- Aunt Chloe...

- Candy! Where in the world have you been?

- I had to help a friend with something... this is Terrence White Andrew, Terry this is my godmother, aunt Chloe...

- Pleased to meet you, said Chloe smiling.

- Likewise..., said Terry kissing her hand.

- Let's go dance Terry, said Candy, see you later ...

Everybody was dancing. Ashley was dancing with Jones when she saw Candy and Terry come in. She was wondering where they've been. Like all the students. "Danny and Sandy" have disappeared to be alone... the speculations started, that they had a roll in the hay.

After their dance, they met Patrick and Allyson.

- Hey you two, said Patrick smiling, where have you been?

- I had something to do and Candy helped me, said Terry.

- Really? Said Jones coming with Ashley.

- Yes, really! Said Terry, what are you guys thinking?

- That we were out there making love, said Candy.

- What? Said Terry stunned.

- Terry, said Candy smiling, sometimes you're so cute!

- But we...

- Don't say anything, said Candy, I have a reputation to preserve.

- Candy! Said Terry.

- Let's go my love, she said pulling him, I want some more...

Terry blushed and followed her outside. Candy was laughing out loud.

- You're funny, you know that? You don't care about your reputation..., said Terry.

- It's already trashed by the tabloids... what's a school rumour going to do?

- Candy, you don't have to let them believe that...

- Well I like the bad girl image... you're one of the few that knows that I'm a big sister...

- You're not a bad girl. I saw you with those little orphans, I wish I had a big sister like you at my orphanage...

- I like making children happy...

- You only take care of girls?

- It was the girls turn that time, said Candy, I do it with boys too...

- Why do you let the world believe you're a biyatch?

- I just don't correct them... you know one thing I like about you?

- What?

- You haven't tried to sleep with me right away, in fact you haven't tried, period!

- It doesn't mean that I don't want to... but...

- I know... it's ok. I'm not complaining or anything...

- That's not what I'm hearing...

- Well I was expecting a talk about it at least...

- It's that tough having a good boy for you? Said Terry smiling.

- Well it beats the usual, "my room or yours?"! Said Candy laughing and hugging him, I have a good boy, I fell for a good boy! Somebody pinch me!

Terry pinched her softly and they burst out laughing, hugging. Terry was spinning around with her.