Chapter 4.1: The Routine

Part 1

||||||||||

"Where are we?" I sigh, stuffing my hands into my pockets and hunching my shoulders. The boy asks a lot of questions. "What's close by?" I grind my teeth, breathing heavily through my nose. "What is this part called? Does Midas live close by? Will we be safe here?" Okay, that's it. I round on Icarus, slamming my palms on the armrests of his wheelchair.

"We're in Malor. There's a lot close by. This section of the city is called the 'Jungle', and Midas wouldn't be caught dead here. Nowhere is safe in Malor, but you won't be gutted in your sleep. If," I snap, narrowing my eyes in the darkness at Icarus' shocked expression. This is why I don't hang with teenagers. "You learn to shut up. Gods!" I stand up, shaking my head. "Do you ever stop asking questions?"

"You get used to it." Esilea notes, pushing Icarus past, a small...wait, what is that? Is she smiling?

"That's what I'm afraid of." I mutter, taking the lead once more. I take a quick glance over my shoulder. They're such an odd looking pair. How did they end up together? What's their story? Look at yourself. You're just as bad as Icarus; get a grip here. You need to keep an eye out Namonai. Without you, they'll be penniless in a gutter by morning. On second thought...

"This is our destination, yes?" Esilea pushes Icarus up beside me, standing outside the door of the Burnt Rice Tavern. Icarus looks over the exterior cautiously, audibly swallowing.

"And we, that is, I mean...we're staying in there?" He looks from the blood stains on the brick and dark wood, to me, then to the vomit in the alley.

"It has a roof," Esilea says, adjusting her satchel. "Good enough for me." Maybe Esilea won't be that bad after all. "Now let's take care of the inhabitants and sleep." Damn, spoke too soon.

"No!" I hiss, stepping in front of her. She dips her head, looking around wearily, reaching into her bag. Icarus hunches over in his chair, gripping the wheels tightly.

"Why are you whispering?" She hisses back.

"I don't want Naiomi hearing us. That would be very bad." I glance around in the darkness, staying two steps away from the door at all times. I know from personal experience the walls and doors are thin. Gods, so very thin.

"Who's Naiomi?"

"That'd be me," Everyone turns to the alley in a blur of action, Esilea is armed and ready before Naiomi has even shown herself. She slips out of the darkness, crossbow pointed almost casually in our direction. "Easy cupcake, put that away before you hurt yourself." Naiomi says nonchalantly, nodding at Esilea's sword.

"I knew we couldn't trust him!" Esilea snaps at Icarus, shielding his body with hers, sword pointed at my chest. Why is it always me?

"Easy now," I say, holding up my hands. This isn't the first time I've had two armed and angry women on my hands. Unfortunately, unlike then, I have no windows nearby to jump out of.

"This isn't an ambush," Naiomi says, striding past me and opening the door. "I know exactly why you're here."

"You do?" Icarus peeks out from around Esilea's solid frame. "How?"

"Namonai has been on a real dumbass streak lately," The Kitsune responds. Ouch. "I figured he'd do something like this, it was only a matter of time. Now," she cocks her head towards the soft light of the empty tavern, "get in before I change my mind." Esilea looks at Naiomi cautiously, before doing as she's told, Icarus wheeling in after her.