01| Moving Foward

***

It had taken me months to come to this decision, staying I believed would help me continue to feel connected to my sister in some way. The reality was that I still felt alone and detached from her. Because she was gone and these were only objects, the only one that I knew held real value to her was the bracelet in my hands. In the short time I knew her I hardly saw her without it, I couldn't believe that she didn't have it on that night.

At first I had wanted to give it back to Roy, considering that he was the one that gifted it to her, but he insisted that I keep it. If there was one person that Diane's death truly destroyed it was Roy Harper.

There was a suddenly Impulse began to bark excitedly followed by a knock on the door bringing me back to reality. I placed the bracelet back in it's box, picking up the blade beside me instead. Visitors were something that I never had, especially this early in the morning. After days of being bored in this city, I was hoping for some trouble.

But when I opened the door I was greatly disappointed and confused.

"Barry?" I questioned surprised find him here at all. Especially when he couldn't even enter this apartment building to retrieve his belongings when he moved back into Joe West's home. "What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to talk...to you."

I watched his eyes move behind me towards where my packed belongings were scattered across the floor, instinctively I moved to block his view. "Why?"

"Are you going somewhere?" He asked his voice laced with concern, a concern that I didn't understand.

"That is not any of your business." I snapped, feeling irritated that he was here at all.

"Okay... before you make any sort of decision can we talk?"

I considered his request for a moment, and not finding any good excuse to turn him away I opened the door wider to let him step inside. I expected hesitation from him, but he simply walked in and looked around the space. Which only increased my confusion because he even the mention of by sister would put him in a dark place before. But I hadn't seen him in months, so possibly a lot had changed.

Once he was inside Impulse began to bark in excitement as he ran in circles around Barry, clearly glade to see the now fully grown puppy he had left me six months ago.

"Impulse." Barry said fondly as h scratched the dog behind its ear.

"So what did you want to talk about?"

Barry seemed deep in thought for a moment, like he had forgotten what he was here to say. "I'm worried about you. We all are, and we're trying to understand why you're so distant. If we're going to work as a team have trust each other."

Hearing his words left me in a complete state of disbelief. I had never been a part of his team, not really and especially not after Diane. "Where is all this coming from? When have I ever been part your team Barry? I'm distant because I don't know you, any of you."

"I know I failed you Jade. I should have been there for you but I wasn't." Barry began, although I could see that what he was saying was true and that he regretted his indifference the truth was I didn't care. I was indifferent of whether or not they cared for me because I didn't care for them. It was clear that they were all good people and that they deeply cared for one another, but I had no desire to be a part of them. Being on my own was comfortable with and I didn't need Barry's pity. "I would like to change that. I think you should stay and I know that Diane would have wanted that too. You could have a family here Jade."

"I know you want to help," I explained, the word family still ringing through my head painfully. "but I truly have no reason to stay and nothing to contribute to your team."