VIII

"Phoenix Drop... Miss Hyria, I'm afraid I can't afford to cross the sea. I have a wife, and daughter."

"Well, it'll be a short trip. I'm not sure if I've told you, but I am the most powerful witch this side of Ru'aun."

"O-okay. I'll accompany you there. But, Phoenix Drop has gone through some... political changes. I can't say for sure if any of my old friends are still there."

"Does that really matter? I'm going to find my goddamn daughter by my own rules and connections, not your's."

"Got it, ma'am. Give my until tomorrow morning to say goodbye to my family."
««»»
"Okay... Mr... Moredance," Azlynn says sarcastically.

"Laurance," Laurance corrects.

"I don't care what your name is. Where are you from, and why are you here of all places?" Azlynn retorts.

"My reasons for being here aren't important. Why don't you ladies tell me about your's?" Laurance asks smugly.

"The hell we wil—" Azlynn is cut off when I flick her on the side of the head.

"Our reasons," I begin, sending Azlynn an angry glare, "are because we are looking for someone."

"Cassie!" Azlynn hisses under her breath. She grabs my arm and pulls me aside. "Mind telling me who we're looking for?"

"My brother, Vylad...? Who else?"

"Oo~h," she says. "I wouldn't um, tell him you're a Ro'meave. Or a Juror. Don't know who to trust, with this kind of war going on."

"Wasn't planning on it," I say.

"Ladies~," Laurance says. "Are you going to talk or what? I haven't got all day."

"You've heard of the kingdom of O'khasis, right?" I ask.

Laurance nods. "Heard Tu'la's occupying it now."

I shake my head. "Everyone knows that. Do you know... the smaller villages surrounding it?"

Laurance stares at the treetops in thought. "Nahakra, for one. I think Pikoro village is nearby too. The sibling cites, Meteli, Brightport and Phoenix Drop—"

"Phoenix Drop!" I say with enthusiasm. "That's where we want to go!"

"Tch," Laurance says. His voice is laced with disgust. It's as though his mood, once flirty and outgoing, has completely reversed. "Why the hell would you want to go there?"

"Our reasons for going aren't important," Azlynn says, mimicking his tone.

Laurance rolls his eyes. "So do you want me to give you directions?"

"We can't trust you just yet," I say. "Lead us."

Laurance's jaw drops. "Lead you? To Phoenix Drop? Forget it."

"Come on!" I probe. "There must be something we have that you want."

"Like I said," Laurance huffs, "forget it. I've got a bone to pick with some of the Phoenix Drop villagers, and the last thing I want is to go back."

"Jury of Nine!" I blurt out. Azlynn's eyes widen in surprise and frustration.

Laurance fixates his aquamarine gaze on me. "What did you say?"

"Jury of Nine..." I respond. "I'm in... the Jury of Nine."

"I thought they broke up ages ago," Laurance says. "When the High Priest disappeared."

Not taking my eyes off his, I nudge Azlynn softly. "Would you, um, give us some time to talk?"

"Okay, but like I said, you shouldn't have told him who you are. Your status is dangerous with Tu'la on your heels. Dumbass," Azlynn responds with an eyeroll.

I straighten my posture as Azlynn walks a few yards (or meters, depending on where you're from.) past the trees to a clearing overlooking the anarchistic village.

"Well then," I say. "Carry on."

"They broke up when Zane—pardon me,—the High Priest left the realm, or so what is seems," Laurance says, his voice barely a whisper.

"Not officially, no. I guess people think we broke up," I say quietly. I'n trying to be choosy about my words. For all I know, this man could be working for Tu'la.

"Hold on..." Laurance says, raising a finger. "So... what's your name and title?"

I shake my head. "Not something I want to say."

"Cassie," he says. "I heard that other girl call you that. Tell me your title."

"Tell me why you want to know so badly," I prompt. 

"I know someone. In the Jury of Nine."

Electricity races through my body. "Who?"

"Tell me your title and I may just tell you."

"You said 'may'. That'd be quite a risk," I respond. My body is boiling with curiosity.

"Some risks need to be taken," Laurance says, crossing his arms confidently.

"Angel..." I begin. Laurance motions with his hands, urging me forward. I finish with a grumble. "...arrow. Cassie the Angel Arrow. That's my title. Now tell me the name of the Juror."

"Not a chance~~!" Laurance sings.

Bastard. I just told him my full, real Jury title. Out of sheer anger and frustration, I bring my hand across the side of his face in a painful slap. I hear Azlynn curse at me loudly from the clearing.

"Damn," he mutters. "Whatever. Your slaps are nothing compared to what Aphmau and Katelyn have done."

Katelyn... Aphmau! Does he mean Katelyn the Fire Fist and Aphmau, Lord of Phoenix Drop.

Realization crosses Laurance's face as he quickly covers his mouth with the palm of his hand.

"Katelyn the Fire Fist," I say, satisfied. "You know her? And Aphmau, the Lord of Phoenix Drop. You know her too." My tone is confident and almost smug. I should slap people more often.

"Maybe..." Laurance trails.

"Lead me. I know both of them. Katelyn's a good person. I never talked to her, but I can tell. And Aphmau... well, she's just about the sweetest person I've ever met." I turn around. "Azlynn, come on! We're going to Phoenix Drop!"

luka luka night fever

xxx,
vylad